Never miss anything again. Sign up for our RSS news feeds and Newsletters.

Farnborough Town…1 Dag & Red…0

OH WELL, the bubble had to burst sooner or later after such a superb start for the Daggers, and Saturday's loss to Farnborough meant that Dagenham and Redbridge dropped further down the league to sixth place.

With Tony Roberts still absent from goal because of concussion sustained in the Telford game, Paul Gothard continued to guard the net while Mark Janney delighted the crowd with his first appearance of the season when coming on off the bench and defender Mark Smith made a return to the substitutes line up after an injury that has kept him out so far this season.

The Daggers had a fair few chances in the opening exchanges, with Junior McDougald going close when shooting over the bar and Steve Perkins having the best chance of the game when his free header flew over the bar from just six yards out.

The second period was a marked improvement on the first for the Daggers and the visitors seemed to come out with more purpose and began to threaten Town's goal.

Steve West hit a 25-yard piledriver that was deflected over and from the resulting corner his header was saved by the Farnborough goalkeeper at the second attempt.

But at the other end, there was no stopping the winning goal when Tony Taggart exchanged passes with Lenny Piper and powered a left-footed 25-yard shot that beat Gothard into the top corner after 69 minutes.

Garry Hill introduced Steve McGavin, Danny Shipp and Janney, and pushed Steve West up front. Mark Stein forced Pennock into making a save from a 20-yard curling shot and Jim Rodwell also had to make a last gasp clearance to deny Shipp from tapping home a Stein cross. But despite their efforts, the Daggers couldn't find an equaliser.

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree