Never miss anything again. Sign up for our RSS news feeds and Newsletters.

Man Dies In Fire

Illegally diverting electricity into a South harrow flat resulted in a fire which killed the occupant, Hornsey Coroners Court heard on Monday last week.

Robert Cooper, 51, died in hospital on Christmas Day last year following the fire at Wesley Close the day before.

Fire investigators discovered a socket pulled out of a wall and connected to the mains.

Various appliances, including a washing machine, immersion heater, the lighting and television were all plugged into the illicit circuit.

None of the appliances was earthed. Firefighters discovered Mr Cooper face down in the bedroom with burns to his hands, shoulders and the back of his head.

Fire Investigator Station Officer John Galvin told the inquest: 'This was an illicit way of gaining electricity and it created a dangerous circuit.

'It is of note that there were no circuit breakers throughout the system at all. There were no earths, no circuit breakers and no fuses.'

Coroner Dr William Dolman recorded a verdict of accidental death.

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree