The new Wardour Castle was designed by James Paine for the 8th Lord Arundell, begun in 1770 and completed in 1776. According to Pevsner it is the largest Georgian house in
Wiltshire, it was built not only to replace the old Wardour Castle, but to celebrate the marriage of the eighth Lord Arundell and the reunification of two branches of his family. It is considered to
be one of Paine's finest works and continued the family tradition of fine architecture dating from the Domesday Book.
The grounds including the walled kitchen garden and Camellia house were constructed and landscaped in 1769 by Richard Woods. The Camellia House takes a prominent location within the walled garden and is built in typical Palladian style and still contains some of the original camellias, reputed to be among the earliest specimens introduced to England from the East. Flemish and English bond brickwork walls enclose the garden and buildings within it.
In 1992 the castle underwent a comprehensive programme of restoration. Soon after the former greenhouses of the walled garden which flanked the Camellia House, were converted to
create four unique and stylish cottages.
Number 2 Garden Cottages is one of the four wonderful conversions and is situated adjacent to the Camellia House. All of the cottages have been sympathetically modified to provide
spacious living accommodation. The property is built of Chilmark Stone under a glazed roof, with lead flashings.
A pathway from the shared car park to the north west of the walled garden leads to the front door, immediately opening into the spacious Kitchen/Breakfast room, which is fully fitted and integrated with pine work tops, double ceramic sink and ceramic flooring. An archway leads through to the living room,
which has oak floors and a wood burning stove with slate hearth. The glazed roof floods the two main reception areas with light creating a delightful open plan atmosphere. Both the
Kitchen and living room have views over the walled garden. A door from the Living room leads through to the bathroom and two double bedrooms both of which have oak flooring and
All windows are double glazed throughout and the living room and bedrooms benefit from under floor radiators.
EPC rating F.
2 Garden Cottages is situated in the Cranborne Chase area of outstanding natural beauty and occupies a peaceful position in the walled garden within the landscaped park.
Tisbury, a large village about 2 miles away, provides most everyday facilities, having a bank, post office, range of shops, several pubs and a mainline railway station with direct services to London Waterloo. The larger centres of Salisbury and Shaftesbury offer a more comprehensive range of facilities. The
area is also renowned for its excellent prep and independent schools including Port Regis, Sandroyd, Bryanston and Clayesmore.
Directly outside there is a small south facing gravelled terrace area. The owner of number two Garden Cottages will be entitled to the quiet enjoyment of the entire walled garden.