Fire Service warning on No Smoking Day
9:19am Wednesday 13th March 2013 in News
To mark today’s National No Smoking Day, Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service has issued a reminder on the danger of lit cigarettes in the home.
Watch Manager Neil Chamberlain, from the community safety department, said: “Unfortunately, it is far too easy to accidentally leave a cigarette burning in an ashtray, or to fall asleep while smoking.
"It’s a sad fact that more people die in smoking material related fires than any other - while cigarettes are the cause of less than 10 per cent of all fires, they actually account for around a third of all fire deaths.”
He added: “A cigarette can burn at up to 700°C - imagine leaving something that hot on or next to a settee, bed, carpet or curtains.
"It is absolutely vital that you always make sure that cigarettes are properly extinguished - your life, and the lives of others in your home, could literally depend on it.”
Fires caused by cigarettes can be prevented by taking a few simple precautions:
• Never smoke in bed
• Never leave lit cigarettes lying around
• Always use a proper ashtray and make sure it can’t be knocked over
• Take special care when you are tired or when you’ve been drinking
• Keep matches and lighters away from children
• Make sure you have a working smoke alarm – and test it every week
For further home fire safety advice, visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk.