Grittleton woman took an overdose
1:17pm Thursday 21st March 2013 in News
Bipolar disorder sufferer Jennifer Peregrine took an overdose of medication which led to her death on July 1 last year.
Coroner Ian Singleton heard how Ms Peregrine, of Grittleton, left a suicide note for her mum Janet, who she lived with at Foscote Cottage, after taking over 100 tablets the night before.
On the day of Jennifer’s death Janet Peregrine woke up in her daughter’s bedroom at 7am and moved to her own bedroom because she was feeling hot.
A statement from her described how she sometimes slept in her daughter’s bedroom when she was experiencing feelings of paranoia.
She next spoke to Jennifer at 11am in her bedroom when she said she felt depressed and later again at 6.45pm in the bath room when she admitted to taking an overdose the previous night.
An ambulance was called at 7.25pm and PC Cheryl Knight arrived at the house to take Janet to the Bath RUH Hospital but Jennifer had died before they arrived.
Jennifer was originally born in Malaysia and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2004.
Since then she had battled with mental health issues and was admitted to the Green Lane Hospital, Devizes twice in March 2010 and April 2012. Just before her death, on June 29, she received a letter from the DVLA revoking her car licence due to poor health.
Senior practitioner William Francis, based at Bewley House, Chippenham, with the North Wiltshire recovery team, said the last review of Jenifer’s condition was on June 28 and the team didn’t think she was at risk of suicide at the time.
He said: “The day the community nurse saw her she had some concerns about what she was saying and spoke to the crisis team about offering some support.
“The intensive team spoke to her on the phone. They knew her well and decided she didn’t need future support.
“There was no high concern she was at risk of an overdose.”
Coroner Ian Singleton said her death was caused by a large quantity of prescription medication.