Teachers step in with first aid to save pupil from choking on toffee reward (From This Is Wiltshire)
Teachers step in with first aid to save pupil from choking on toffee reward
2:00pm Sunday 29th September 2013 in News
A Clarendon Academy pupil has thanked his science teacher for saving his life when he choked on a sweet he was given for having a tidy uniform.
Korben Edwards, 11, of Eagle Park in Trowbridge, was in science class last Friday when he was given a Werther’s Original for looking smart. He was sucking on the sweet when a friend made him laugh and he began to choke.
Korben, who plays for Chippenham Town Youth FC, said: “It didn’t hurt, but I was quite scared because I couldn’t breathe, so I ran up to my teacher.”
The teacher tried patting him on the back, but to no avail, and called in fellow science teacher Naomi Chill-ingworth from next door.
She said: “We did five back blows, but it didn’t dislodge, so we did five abdominal thrusts. We ended up repeating the cycle three times before we dislodged it. “It was three minutes and we were concerned it wasn’t dislodging and where that would lead us, but it came out as we were on the phone to the ambulance.”
The teacher, who has been at the school for five years, is a St John Ambulance member and a first aider and assessor. She said this was the first time she had administered treatment for choking. Korben said: “It felt like a really long time, but the sweet flew out. I felt very relieved, but I had a sore throat afterwards. I want to thank the teacher for helping me.”
An emergency care practitioner gave Korben a check up and he was allowed home.
He said he was off sweets over the weekend, but was back to school on Monday.
His mother, Karen, said: “It is a mother’s worst nightmare. The teachers told me it was very close. Korben’s words were, ‘I couldn’t remember them patting my back or tummy. All I could remember was thinking I wasn’t going to see my mum again and I am going to die.’ “If it wasn’t for the teacher, he would not have been here today. I would like to thank the school and praise them.”
Comments are closed on this article.