Pinehurst man jailed for twice raping little boy
9:00pm Tuesday 1st October 2013 in News
A 53-year-old man who twice raped a six-year-old boy has been jailed for 11 years and 11 months.
Iain Kendall, who is also known as Reg, was looking after the youngster when he carried out the sex attacks on the schoolboy last summer.
And he will also be subject to a sexual offences prevention order banning him from ever contacting the victim or living with other children after he is released from jail.
Mark Worsley, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court how Kendall knew the little boy through family and got on well with the youngster.
He said the boy’s parents were aware that Kendall had in the past been cleared, after a trial, of charges of raping a young girl.
But until August last year, when he told them of what had been going on, they were unconcerned about the IT worker having contact with their son.
The court was told that the youngster first told his paternal grandmother and later his mother that the defendant had done “horrid things” to him.
The youngster described to the police in detail how the defendant had got him to carry out a sex act on him on two occasions.
Mr Worsley said: “The defendant told him he shouldn’t tell the police.”
Kendall was arrested and questioned by officers, who he told he had done nothing wrong and the boy had been making it up.
When he appeared in the crown court in April he pleaded not guilty and the case was listed for trial last month. But at a hearing 10 days before the trial was due to start he changed his plea to admit what he had done.
Kendall, of Olive Grove, Pinehurst, admitted two counts of rape of a child under 13.
Andrew Hobson, defending, said his client had little mitigation other than the fact he did not put the boy through the ordeal of having to give evidence before a jury.
“Mr Kendall is described as being somewhat isolated as an individual, without much of a support network,” he said.
“Since pleading guilty he has been able to tell his son what has happened to him. In his words his son is angry and disappointed with him, which I suspect is an understatement, but he is supporting him.”
He said Kendall would be prepared to undertake any courses and other work he would be offered as a sex offender in custody.
Jailing him, Recorder Peter Blair QC said: “You have pleaded guilty to absolutely abhorrent offences. He [the victim] was aged about six years at the time of this offending and no doubt is thoroughly confused.”
He told Kendall the offences “were utterly selfish, to provide you with sexual gratification at the risk of damaging that young boy’s relationships in the future and his understanding of sexual matters”.
“I have little doubt that he will have flashbacks in later life as a result of what you subjected him to. He has, through his social worker, as you know, recorded his observations and feelings.
“There is no doubt this is an appalling set of offences which no doubt you realise you are going to receive a long prison sentence for.
“There are no particular mitigating features at all that arise from the circumstances of these offences and your own personal situation.
“The only mitigation is that you did have the guts, at a very late stage, to change your pleas to guilty.”