Methodone robbery charges are dropped
8:40pm Wednesday 9th October 2013 in News
TWO men who were accused of robbing a heroin addict of his methadone have had the charges against them dropped.
Mark Stanners had served five months in custody on remand as he and Christopher White awaited trial on the allegation. But after the police lost contact with the alleged victim they said they would not proceed with the case and offered no evidence against Stanners, 43, and White, 25.
Hannah Squire, prosecuting, said: “The complainant had drug addiction and alcohol issues. My concern when I read his statement was it may well appear he was slightly the worse for wear on the occasion of this alleged offence.
“Also, the police have been unable to contact him since May.
“Putting those two facts together the Crown have taken the view it is time to offer no evidence.”
Judge Euan Ambrose returned formal not guilty verdicts saying losing the key witness was “a fairly fundamental problem”.
Tony Bignall, defending, said: “Mr Stanners feels a bit wistful that he has been in custody since May on this matter, though it is fair to say he had served a 21-day sentence for something else in that time.”
They had been accused of robbing a man of three bottles of methadone on Friday, May 3, this year.