Firefighters’ top tips to stay safe on Bonfire Night
7:40am Tuesday 29th October 2013 in News
WITH Bonfire Night coming, Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service is warning people not to take risks with fireworks.
While most people treat fireworks with respect, some forget that they are explosives.
Keep fireworks in a closed metal box, take them out one at a time and follow the instructions. Read them by torchlight – never use a naked flame.
Light fireworks at arm’s length using a safety firework lighter or fuse wick, stand back after lighting. Never go back to a lit firework – it may go off in your face, and keep a bucket of water handy.
Used fireworks should be doused with water, buried or placed in a metal container. Keep children under control and pets indoors.
Bonfires present hazards. If you must light a bonfire, site it away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs and always away from fireworks. Before lighting it, check no pets or children are hiding inside it.
Build the stack so that it will not collapse outwards. Never use flammable liquids such as paraffin or petrol to light the fire and don’t burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint or bottles.
Keep everyone away from the fire, especially children. Keep buckets of water, the garden hose or a fire extinguisher ready and pour water on the embers before leaving.
Comments are closed on this article.