Man faces jail over grievous bodily harm
10:00am Thursday 5th December 2013 in News
A 24-year-old who carried out a serious assault in a nightclub has been told to expect a jail term.
Jason Povey had been due to face trial for grievous bodily harm and common assault but before a jury could be sworn in he changed his plea to admit the more serious matter.
Povey, of Haydon Street, Swindon, accepted he assaulted Connor Bartle causing grievous bodily harm during the incident in Trowbridge on May 26, 2012.
Colin Meeke, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court he would not seek a trial on the common assault.
Marcus Davey, defending, asked for the case to be adjourned for a probation report.
He said: “Although he has previous convictions, what your honour won’t know is that he has a son of two-and-a-half who he picks up from Weymouth every Friday and takes him back on Sunday. There is more to this young man than meets the eye.”
Judge Tim Mousley QC adjourned the case to January 10 granting conditional bail.
He said: “You have pleaded guilty at a late stage to a serious offence. The offence is so serious that it crosses the custody threshold and you should expect a custodial sentence.”