Four more years for convicted child molester
Updated 12:15pm Thursday 16th January 2014 in By Katie Bond, @SwindonAdver007
A CONVICTED child molester who sexually abused a girl when she was just four or five years old has had another four years added to his sentence.
David Harry is already serving a 12 year jail term imposed a year ago after he raped a girl when she was nine year sold.
But after seeing press coverage of the case another victim came forward and told how the 44-year-old also abused her when she was very young.
Colin Meeke, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court how the offence took place around the turn of the millennium.
The girl, now a teenager, said she was sitting watching TV with the defendant, who was babysitting, when he undid his trousers and got her to perform a sex act on him.
Mr Meeke said: “She then bottled it up, told no one for 11 or 12 years, not in fact until she saw some press coverage.
“She had seen him in a shop and then some press coverage for which he is now serving a sentence and came forward.”
In the years since he said she had suffered terrible problems as a result of the abuse including vivid nightmares of what happened to her.
When he was questioned the defendant denied any wrongdoing but he went on to indicate he would admit the charge.
Harry, formerly of Rose Street, Rodbourne, pleaded guilty to one charge of indecent assault by video link.
He was jailed for 12 years, with a three year extended licence, in January last year after being convicted of rape and other offences.
Rob Ross, defending, told the court his client had already started a sex offender programme in Albany prison on the Isle of Wight.
He said he had been transferred to Bullingdon, in Oxfordshire, for this hearing and was keen to get back and continue the courses.
“It is clear now he is more accepting than he was of the situation he finds himself in. He is more accepting of what he has done,” he said.
“He is working hard to rehabilitate himself. This appears to be a man who is not now, as so many sex offenders are, in denial. He wants to come out and not be a risk to himself or anyone else.”
Mr Ross said that he was also seeking help for his mental health and other problems caused when he was also abused as a child.
Passing sentence Judge Tim Mousley QC said: “This is an offence of indecently assaulting a young girl aged four or five at the time, so she was terribly young.
“Had you contested this and been convicted I would have had a sentence in the region of eight years, with a guilty plea it would have been five-and-a-half.
“I have to bear in mind the totality of the sentence because this will be added to the sentence that was imposed last year.”
He made a four year consecutive sentence with a three year extended licence making the total jail term 16 years, of which he will have to serve two thirds.
The judge also amended a sexual offences prevention order which restricted his liberty on release to ban him contacting the victim.
Harry was jailed last January after being found guilty at trial of rape of child under 13, sexual assault of a child under 13 and causing a child to watch sexual activity.
The jury heard he groomed the young girl, showing her pornography on his mobile phone, before raping her.
In 2000 he admitted sexually abusing a 16-year-old girl as she slept in his car at a beauty spot car park.