Fears sewage tanks will cause big stink

RESIDENTS in Taw Hill are remaining resolute in their opposition to plans to install several sewage tanks in the ground next to their homes.

Thames Water wants to place two tanks at either end of Queen Elizabeth Drive to deal with excessive water during heavy rains and to increase the capacity of the network ahead of the Tadpole Farm development.

The firm held a drop-in session last week, which was attended by many of the residents who are angry that the company appeared not to have given serious consideration to other sites.

The plans were first unveiled last summer and, after initial objections, the firm said it would re-examine them. But in the end only minor alterations were made.

Thames Water said it was not yet in a position to say whether it was looking at altering its plans, but the feedback received at the session is being reviewed.

However, the residents believe the company has already made its decision to use Queen Elizabeth Drive.

David Parkinson, 50, said: “I think the meeting confirmed what we had always suspected and that is no matter what any of the people living near the proposed site said, they were never going to put it anywhere else.

“As one of the contractors at the meeting said, Queen Elizabeth Drive is the most economically viable option.

“We have suggested a site on the other side of Thamesdown Drive, but that has been ruled out because it is deemed to close to electric cables. Well if that is the case, then surely they have to rule out Queen Elizabeth Drive because it is just as close to some of the houses.”

Residents are concerned that when the tank is full it will overflow and the gases will create an odour when they are vented.

The disruption during construction is also a worry. As it stands, planning permission would only need to be obtained for small parts of the development because the tanks are located underground.

David said: “At the meeting they said the flood and smell definitely won’t happen.

“We want to know if Thames Water will provide compensation if they do occur, as they have on two occasions elsewhere in the country.

“When we asked them whether they would have what is effectively a cesspit that close to their home, it was very telling that none of them could answer.

“I want the council to issue an Article 14 Direction which would mean the decision would have to go before the full planning committee and we would have to hear the full reasons as to why the other sites have been discounted.

“Everyone is determined not to let this happen.”

A Thames Water spokeswoman said: “Wednesday’s drop-in session was a good opportunity for us to listen to residents’ concerns and we’re now in the process of reviewing their feedback.

“We’ll continue to keep them informed of our decisions. ”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:12am Tue 28 Jan 14

1 2 Could B says...

No comments from the local councillor?
No comments from the local councillor? 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 2

6:45am Tue 28 Jan 14

house on the hill says...

1 2 Could B wrote:
No comments from the local councillor?
They are just as sh1t as the sewage tanks, so what do you expect!
[quote][p][bold]1 2 Could B[/bold] wrote: No comments from the local councillor?[/p][/quote]They are just as sh1t as the sewage tanks, so what do you expect! house on the hill
  • Score: 0

7:29am Tue 28 Jan 14

Always Grumpy says...

I'd just give them all a bucket and spade and tell them to shift their own cr@p when the systems full - after all, it is theirs.
I'd just give them all a bucket and spade and tell them to shift their own cr@p when the systems full - after all, it is theirs. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 7

7:42am Tue 28 Jan 14

Localboy86 says...

1 2 Could B wrote:
No comments from the local councillor?
Of course not, he wouldn't be able to crowbar in a winge about out local judges so what would be the point
[quote][p][bold]1 2 Could B[/bold] wrote: No comments from the local councillor?[/p][/quote]Of course not, he wouldn't be able to crowbar in a winge about out local judges so what would be the point Localboy86
  • Score: 1

1:26pm Tue 28 Jan 14

house on the hill says...

Localboy86 wrote:
1 2 Could B wrote:
No comments from the local councillor?
Of course not, he wouldn't be able to crowbar in a winge about out local judges so what would be the point
so is our friend Ringer/Channel IX etc a councillor then? I just thought he was in Sandlewood!
[quote][p][bold]Localboy86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]1 2 Could B[/bold] wrote: No comments from the local councillor?[/p][/quote]Of course not, he wouldn't be able to crowbar in a winge about out local judges so what would be the point[/p][/quote]so is our friend Ringer/Channel IX etc a councillor then? I just thought he was in Sandlewood! house on the hill
  • Score: 1

1:52pm Tue 28 Jan 14

Itssomewheretowork says...

I am wondering how may of these objectors have actually had water from the sewers in their houses. Certainly when a scheme was introduced in East Swindon, those who had been flooded in doors were very happy that something positive was being done. There are two tanks now in operation within 20-50 yards of houses and I have not heard of anybody complaining about smells or about any localised flooding nearby.

Perhaps these protesters should venture across town and sniff deeply and look at the area around these concrete underground tanks; infact I think they will have some difficulty locating them.

If they don't want tanks nearby then perhaps the money should be spent on residents who do have the problem of sewerage getting into their houses in another part of town who I am sure would welcome a solution to their problem.
I am wondering how may of these objectors have actually had water from the sewers in their houses. Certainly when a scheme was introduced in East Swindon, those who had been flooded in doors were very happy that something positive was being done. There are two tanks now in operation within 20-50 yards of houses and I have not heard of anybody complaining about smells or about any localised flooding nearby. Perhaps these protesters should venture across town and sniff deeply and look at the area around these concrete underground tanks; infact I think they will have some difficulty locating them. If they don't want tanks nearby then perhaps the money should be spent on residents who do have the problem of sewerage getting into their houses in another part of town who I am sure would welcome a solution to their problem. Itssomewheretowork
  • Score: 11

2:55pm Tue 28 Jan 14

stfcdod says...

Here they go again. Yawn, yawn, yawn. I suppose there is a history of nimby's never shutting up but where do they propose that these totally safe, odourless, necessary tanks are built then?. No-one else wants your waste, so I'm afraid that these tanks have to go near to your pseudo posh houses.
Just think of the interesting talking points that can be discussed at your pseudo dinner parties and better still, before coffee is served you can show your no doubt fellow nimby's the actual tanks. You are so lucky and in the meantime, get a life.
Here they go again. Yawn, yawn, yawn. I suppose there is a history of nimby's never shutting up but where do they propose that these totally safe, odourless, necessary tanks are built then?. No-one else wants your waste, so I'm afraid that these tanks have to go near to your pseudo posh houses. Just think of the interesting talking points that can be discussed at your pseudo dinner parties and better still, before coffee is served you can show your no doubt fellow nimby's the actual tanks. You are so lucky and in the meantime, get a life. stfcdod
  • Score: 2

9:22pm Sun 9 Feb 14

V4CSOI says...

stfcdod wrote:
Here they go again. Yawn, yawn, yawn. I suppose there is a history of nimby's never shutting up but where do they propose that these totally safe, odourless, necessary tanks are built then?. No-one else wants your waste, so I'm afraid that these tanks have to go near to your pseudo posh houses.
Just think of the interesting talking points that can be discussed at your pseudo dinner parties and better still, before coffee is served you can show your no doubt fellow nimby's the actual tanks. You are so lucky and in the meantime, get a life.
Have you thought why these tanks have a vent pipe? Could it be perhaps so that no air lock is formed an they can fill. Have you considered that the air being vented from these, you claim, 'odourless' tanks as they fill is coming out of a sewer and therefore cannot fail to smell. (Thames Water have admitted to us that they can emit odours) Do you imagine that the tanks will be thoroughly sanitised after each time they are used so that residues left in them will not continue to fester and emit odours.Are you aware that the present proposal is to vent the tanks at ground level within 15m of houses? Do you know that two of these 'totally safe' tanks have overflowed and flooded surrounding houses?

Nobody is saying that the tanks are not necessary! Nobody is suggesting that the tanks should be moved near to other peoples houses so that it is somebody else's back yard. Nobody here wants anybody else to have 'our waste' and the tanks aren't meant to hold our waste in any event - they are being put into the ground to cope with added sewage which will be developed by the house to be built at Tadpole Farm.

What we are saying is that Thames Water have simply chosen the easy option and have failed to look at other sites which will mean that, if the tanks do smell or flood then they will do so in a position where nobody is inconvenienced and no houses are at risk. If such viable sites exits, and the facts point to that being the case, then simple common sense indicates that the tanks should be being put there rather than at the location presently chosen by Thames Water. If no such viable alternative exists then the tanks may have to go where Thames Water want them to go and the QED residents will have to accept it - but why, in your view, are they so wrong to stand up for themselves and ensure that other options, which will inconvenience nobody, are properly explored?

Nobody is being 'posh' here on QED. We are just trying to stop a foreign owned company trying to impose the cheapest option for them on us, the little people, so that the fat cats in charge of it can give themselves a huge pat on the back and an even bigger bonus arranged at their 'dinner parties' or over 'coffee' with other fat cats.

With the greatest of respect, you really should try not to get so hung up on material possessions such as houses as this is blinkering your view and stopping you from properly appreciating the facts. We have chosen to live here because we have been lucky enough to have succeeded, through hard work, to allow us to do so. This does not mean, as you seem to suggest, that we must now humbly accept everything negative that comes our way because we must be so grateful for what we have got.

We have 'Got our life', we like it and are trying to keep it that way without any intention to dump on anybody else whatsoever. We are not asking for much - just that a mulitnational corporation show some consideration and explores other options seriously rather than presenting us with the cheapest option for them as being the only answer and masking this as consultation. If you find all this so boring - you at least have the luxury of engaging in this matter of your own choice and could just choose to find something more interesting to do - in the meantime we have to spend our valuable spare time 'boringly' engaged in this matter because it has been brought to our door and we must deal with it.
[quote][p][bold]stfcdod[/bold] wrote: Here they go again. Yawn, yawn, yawn. I suppose there is a history of nimby's never shutting up but where do they propose that these totally safe, odourless, necessary tanks are built then?. No-one else wants your waste, so I'm afraid that these tanks have to go near to your pseudo posh houses. Just think of the interesting talking points that can be discussed at your pseudo dinner parties and better still, before coffee is served you can show your no doubt fellow nimby's the actual tanks. You are so lucky and in the meantime, get a life.[/p][/quote]Have you thought why these tanks have a vent pipe? Could it be perhaps so that no air lock is formed an they can fill. Have you considered that the air being vented from these, you claim, 'odourless' tanks as they fill is coming out of a sewer and therefore cannot fail to smell. (Thames Water have admitted to us that they can emit odours) Do you imagine that the tanks will be thoroughly sanitised after each time they are used so that residues left in them will not continue to fester and emit odours.Are you aware that the present proposal is to vent the tanks at ground level within 15m of houses? Do you know that two of these 'totally safe' tanks have overflowed and flooded surrounding houses? Nobody is saying that the tanks are not necessary! Nobody is suggesting that the tanks should be moved near to other peoples houses so that it is somebody else's back yard. Nobody here wants anybody else to have 'our waste' and the tanks aren't meant to hold our waste in any event - they are being put into the ground to cope with added sewage which will be developed by the house to be built at Tadpole Farm. What we are saying is that Thames Water have simply chosen the easy option and have failed to look at other sites which will mean that, if the tanks do smell or flood then they will do so in a position where nobody is inconvenienced and no houses are at risk. If such viable sites exits, and the facts point to that being the case, then simple common sense indicates that the tanks should be being put there rather than at the location presently chosen by Thames Water. If no such viable alternative exists then the tanks may have to go where Thames Water want them to go and the QED residents will have to accept it - but why, in your view, are they so wrong to stand up for themselves and ensure that other options, which will inconvenience nobody, are properly explored? Nobody is being 'posh' here on QED. We are just trying to stop a foreign owned company trying to impose the cheapest option for them on us, the little people, so that the fat cats in charge of it can give themselves a huge pat on the back and an even bigger bonus arranged at their 'dinner parties' or over 'coffee' with other fat cats. With the greatest of respect, you really should try not to get so hung up on material possessions such as houses as this is blinkering your view and stopping you from properly appreciating the facts. We have chosen to live here because we have been lucky enough to have succeeded, through hard work, to allow us to do so. This does not mean, as you seem to suggest, that we must now humbly accept everything negative that comes our way because we must be so grateful for what we have got. We have 'Got our life', we like it and are trying to keep it that way without any intention to dump on anybody else whatsoever. We are not asking for much - just that a mulitnational corporation show some consideration and explores other options seriously rather than presenting us with the cheapest option for them as being the only answer and masking this as consultation. If you find all this so boring - you at least have the luxury of engaging in this matter of your own choice and could just choose to find something more interesting to do - in the meantime we have to spend our valuable spare time 'boringly' engaged in this matter because it has been brought to our door and we must deal with it. V4CSOI
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree