Wiltshire firefighters' fears over oxyacetylene cylinders in workshop blaze

This Is Wiltshire: Wiltshire firefighters’ concern that oxyacetylene cylinders were involved in a major fire in Great Cheverell, near Devizes, proved unfounded Wiltshire firefighters’ concern that oxyacetylene cylinders were involved in a major fire in Great Cheverell, near Devizes, proved unfounded

Firefighters’ concern that oxyacetylene cylinders were involved in a major fire in Great Cheverell, near Devizes, on Monday night proved unfounded.

Two fire crews from Devizes were called to the blaze in a workshop at Wilding Engineering in the high street shortly before 8pm.

Pip Flowers, commander of Devizes fire station, said: “A neighbour thought there might be cylinders in the building, which was on fire from end to end, so we called out a third crew from Melksham.

"But the owner turned up shortly after and said there were no cylinders, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.”

Two hose reels were used to fight the blaze, which was extinguished within an hour, but the contents of the workshop, including a tractor, were completely destroyed.

The cause of the fire may have resulted from a spark from welding work earlier in the evening, and the road through the village was closed for two hours while firefighters dealt with the blaze.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree