A MOTORCYCLIST who was airlifted to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol after suffering severe head injuries in a crash yesterday remains in a critical condition.

Emergency services were called to the scene on Cirencester Way by a member of the public at midday on Saturday. The road was closed to traffic until 3pm.

The motorcyclist, a 41-year-old man from Swindon, lost control of his vehicle before colliding with the central reservation.

Sgt Steven Love, of the serious collision investigation team at Wiltshire Police, said: "We were called at 12.15pm to a single vehicle road traffic collision on Cirencester Way.

"At this stage it seems that for no visible reason he has lost control of his motorcycle and collided with the central reservation.

"He has then come into contact with the Z posts on the barrier.

"He sustained significant head injuries, and a possible fractured right leg.

"We expect the road to be closed for around two hours while we conduct a thorough survey and investigation.

"Due to the nature of his injuries he was sedated at the scene and airlifted to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol."

He was still being treated at Frenchay for head injuries yesterday and remained in a critical condition.

The Wiltshire Air Ambulance helicopter landed close to the scene before taking the man to hospital at around 1.30pm. It took them approximately 12 minutes to arrive at Frenchay Hospital.

A spokesman for the South Western Ambulance Service said: "We received the call at 11.58am to a collision involving a motorcyclist.

"We sent the rapid response vehicle and basics doctor, along with the Wiltshire Air Ambulance.

"The man has suffered severe head injuries and was flown to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol.

"He was conscious and breathing when we arrived on the scene, but was found to have suffered significant injuries. The critical care team were able to begin intensive treatment by the roadside."

Swindon Town FC advised fans driving to Saturday's game against Sheffield Utd at the County Ground to look for an alternative route.

Wiltshire Police are appealing for any witnesses to the incident to contact 101 with any information.