A MOTORCYCLIST remains in a critical condition today after losing control in Cirencester Way for no visible reason and suffering severe head injuries.

Emergency services were called to the scene by a member of the public shortly after noon on Saturday and the road was closed to traffic for almost three hours for an investigation.

The motorcyclist, a 41-year-old man from Swindon, who has not yet been identified, lost control of his vehicle before colliding with the central reservation.

Sgt Steven Love, of the serious collision investigation team at Wiltshire Police, said: “We were called at 12.15pm to a single-vehicle road traffic collision on Cirencester Way.

“At this stage it seems that for no visible reason he has lost control of his motorcycle and collided with the central reservation.

“He has then come into contact with the Z posts on the barrier. He sustained significant head injuries, and a possible fractured right leg.

“Due to the nature of his injuries he was sedated at the scene and airlifted to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol.”

He was still being treated at Frenchay for head injuries yesterday and remained in a critical condition.

The Wiltshire Air Ambulance helicopter landed close to the scene before taking the man to hospital at around 1.30pm.

It took around 12 minutes for them to arrive at Frenchay Hospital.

A spokesman for the South Western Ambulance Service said: “We received the call at 11.58am to a collision involving a motorcyclist.

“We sent the rapid response vehicle and basics doctor, along with the Wiltshire Air Ambulance.

“The man has suffered severe head injuries and was flown to Frenchay Hospital in Bristol.

“He was conscious and breathing when we arrived on the scene, but was found to have suffered significant injuries.

“The critical care team was able to begin intensive treatment by the roadside.”

Delays were caused to fans on their way to the Swindon Town fixture against Sheffield United as diversions were put in place after Cirencester Way was closed in both directions between County Road and Gipsy Lane.

Swindon Town FC advised fans driving to the game at the County Ground to look for an alternative route, and kick-off was delayed by 15 minutes as a result.

Wiltshire Police are appealing for any witnesses to the incident to contact 101 with any information.