Jubilant fans broke out in wild celebrations after Trowbridge Rugby Club secured a memorable win in the final of the RFU Intermediate Cup at Twickenham last Sunday.

The team, which the previous week had clinched promotion from Southern Counties South, beat Leek 22-19 in the final at the home of English rugby in a nail-biting conclusion to their season.

Fans went through a mixture of emotions as Trowbridge's defence held out in the last few minutes, with the final whistle greeted by huge cheers.

The day started out with fans travelling up from the club’s Doric Park ground, which it moved to from Green Lane in September, on one of the 12 coaches laid on by the club.

Club member Bruce Leworthy said: “It doesn't get better than this. The game was played the way rugby should be and it was a hard fought contest. Huge credit to Trowbridge as they showed a lot of character and belief towards the end, just as they did in the previous game against Guildford. They put their bodies on the line for the win.

“I was proud to be a part of it as the atmosphere was wonderful. In some ways it was a shame that one team had to lose, even though I was delighted for Trowbridge, as Leek contributed a lot to the game.”

Laura Coombs, who was at the match with son Jack, six, said: “It was a very tense game towards the end, almost a bit too close for comfort. It is massive for Trowbridge and it has really brought the whole community together.

“The number of supporters that have travelled up is crazy and to win at Twickenham is the icing on the cake of a great season for everyone involved with the club.”

Jane Wilson, who took son Oliver, 13, and friends Adam, 13, and Gemma Tucker, 10, to the game, said: “It was a brilliant game and the boys especially enjoyed it as they are part of the under 13s team.

“It was very nerve wracking and a really good game between two excellent teams. The atmosphere was incredible considering the ground was only about half full, but the town really showed its support for the team.”

Trowbridge Rugby Club second team member Gareth Davis, 20, and third team member Steve Jones, 20, said they could barely watch towards the end of the game as Leek almost stole victory in the final minutes.

Mr Davis said: “It was a great game of rugby, but everyone was very nervous at the end. Both teams played really well and it was very close, but Trowbridge’s defence at the end was just unreal.

Mr Jones added: “They were throwing their bodies on the line to prevent the try and we were just desperate for the referee to blow the final whistle. The celebrations at the end were crazy and it felt like half the town was there.”

Rob Willcox, who is the under 8s coach at Trowbridge, travelled up on one of the coaches with under 8s assistant coach Neil Davies and a number of his young players.

Mr Willcox said: “My voice went in the last 10 minutes.

“The kids absolutely loved it and for many of them it was the first time they had been to Twickenham, so it was a great introduction for them.

“Seeing something like this really fires them up, especially as four of the Trowbridge players came from the under 8s.

“For the team to move from Green Lane and get promotion and go to Twickenham is remarkable.”

Tim Davies, whose son James played for Trowbridge in the final, was joined by friends Steve and Denise Harvey, and he said: “It was a great day. It was one of those games where it could have gone either way.

“The last few minutes were just crazy, but it is great for Trowbridge and it’s a dream come true for the team.

“James has been playing since he was young and is part of the fab four, so it’s an unbelievable achievement.”