POLICE continue to search a field near Ramsbury following the discovery of boots belonging to murdered Sian O'Callaghan. It comes less than 24 hours after the detective who led the original inquiry, DSI Steve Fulcher quit the force after being found guilty of misconduct. We look back at how the full grim story has unfolded...  

March 18, 2011: Sian O’Callaghan goes for a night out with friends in the Old Town area, while boyfriend Kevin Reape returns home after day out in Cheltenham.

March 19, 2011. 2.34am: Chris Halliwell’s car is seen on CCTV outside the Goddard Arms and making a number of slow passes along High Street, past Suju nightclub.

2.53am: Sian is seen on CCTV leaving Suju. At 2.57am she walks past the Goddard Arms towards Halliwell’s cab, which police believe she entered of her own volition and asked to be taken home.

3.24am: Kevin Reape sends a text message to Sian’s mobile. Analysis reveals her phone was in the Savernake Forest area when the message was received.

5.35am: Kevin persistently tries to reach Sian on her phone but gets no response.

9.49am: Kevin reports her missing.

Monday, March 21, 2011. 10am: Det Sup Steve Fulcher, the senior investigating officer tells the media he is trying to establish Sian’s movements between 3.15am and 4am on Saturday in the Savernake area.

March 23, 2011: Police using mobile phone technology narrow the search of the forest. The public are asked not to join in.

March 24, 2011. 11.05am: Halliwell is arrested, initially on suspicion of kidnap, outside Asda Walmart, while his house in Ashbury Avenue, Nythe, is cordoned off. Police later confirm they have found two bodies – one of which they believe to be Sian’s.

11.51am: After detectives conduct an urgent interview with the minicab driver, Fulcher, against the advice of his deputy, diverts Halliwell’s arresting officers to Barbury Castle rather than Gablecross so he can conduct a further urgent interview.

12.11pm: Halliwell arrives at Barbury Castle, where police search teams are already in place, and Fulcher makes a last ditch appeal to Halliwell to tell him where Sian is. Halliwell agrees to take Fulcher to Sian’s body.

1.21pm: After taking police to the area where Sian has been buried, Halliwell asks if Fulcher “wants another one.”

1.53pm: Halliwell agrees to take Fulcher to the site of a second body and they set off for Eastleach, Gloucestershire.

2.43pm: Having identified the field where he buried the body of a woman he had killed some time in 2003 or 2004, Halliwell is taken to the police station where, Fulcher tells him, he will have his rights explained to him.

Evening: At a press conference at Gablecross DSI Fulcher confirms a man was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and two murders. He goes beyond his media script to reveal the suspect had taken him to the location of both bodies.

April 5, 2011: Police name the woman whose body was found near Eastleach as Becky Godden-Edwards, from Swindon, who had been missing for eight years.

May 31, 2012: Halliwell denies the murder of Sian O’Callaghan.

October 19, 2012: Halliwell changes his plea for the murder of Sian O’Callaghan to guilty and is sentenced to at least 25 years in prison. The second charge for Becky’s death is withdrawn after evidence obtained by DSI Fulcher is ruled inadmissible due to breaches of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act.

October 2012: DSI Fulcher is suspended by Wiltshire Police on full pay pending an Independent Police Complaints Commission inquiry following a referral by the force itself.

September 9, 2013: The Independent Police Complaints Commission release a report into their investigation of DSI Fulcher’s conduct and find he has a case to answer to for gross misconduct in relation to breaches of PACE and going against force media policy and orders.

September 14, 2013: An online poll of Adver readers backed the detective’s actions by 88 percent.

January 22, 2014: DSI Fulcher was found guilty of two counts of misconduct by an independent panel of senior police officers.

January 23, 2014: The officer is allowed to keep his job after being handed a final written warning by Wiltshire Police.

May 15, 2014: Wiltshire Police confirm DSI Fulcher has resigned from the force.

May 16, 2014: Police, led by DCI Sean Memory, confirm they haven't ruled out finding human remains as they step up the search of a field near Ramsbury after the boots Sian wore the night of her murder are found in a remote pond.

A map showing the route Sian O'Callaghan was taken in her final hours.

A: Old Town, where Sian was seen getting into Chris Halliwell's taxi at 2.57am on March 19, 2011.

B: The Savernake Forest where analysis revealed Sian's phone received a text from her boyfriend Kevin Reape at 3.24am.

C. The remote Ramsbury field where some of Sian's personal possessions were found today.

D. Uffington, where Sian's body was discovered on March 24, 2011.