Angus Macpherson, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Wiltshire and Swindon, is making a phased return to work after receiving treatment for a heart condition.

Mr Macpherson was taken ill during a meeting in Trowbridge with Dr Andrew Murrison, the MP for South West Wiltshire, at the end of May.

He was discharged from the Royal United Hospital in Bath last month and has since been convalescing at home in Wiltshire.

Mr Macpherson has been kept fully briefed by senior Wiltshire Police officers about the fatal stabbing of Aulton ‘Tom’ Rogers in Swindon last week.

On Wednesday the commissioner was in Devizes to meet his team in the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner and Deputy Chief Constable Mike Veale.

He took the opportunity to sign a collaboration agreement under which four forces - Wiltshire, Avon and Somerset, Gloucestershire and Dorset – will have a joint forensics service.

Yesterday he met the constabulary’s medical officer who agreed that he could return to work for two days a week, an arrangement that will be reviewed after a month.

Next week Mr Macpherson intends to travel to Salisbury to see the new Bourne Hill Police Station which opened its doors on Monday.

He said: “I am very pleased to be back in my office.

"I would like to acknowledge the fine work done by my staff and Wiltshire Police in my absence to ensure that the people of Wiltshire and Swindon have an efficient and effective police service.

“I would particularly pay tribute to the many officers and staff from Wiltshire Police and Avon and Somerset Police who were involved in the investigation into the tragic death of Mr Rogers in Swindon. This has been a textbook example of regional collaboration under the Op Brunel Major Crime Investigation Team banner.

“On a personal note I would like to thank the many people who have sent their best wishes. I received excellent care from hospital staff and I have had a pacemaker fitted.

“There is much that I want to do, but I will have to follow doctor’s orders.”