WILTSHIRE Police are urging children to make sure they remain safe throughout the summer holidays.

The warning comes after three 16-year-old boys were having a barbecue close to the M4 at junction 16 on July 16 when the fire got out of control and quickly spread to dry grass nearby.

The fire caused a substantial amount of damage to the field and a fence nearby.

It also forced police officers to close the westbound slip road of the motorway junction due to the heavy smoke which was blowing on dangerously to the carriageway.

Anyone having a barbecue should consider having a bottle of water close by, never leaving the barbecue unattended and make sure it is not placed too near anything which is likely to catch fire.