Guide dog maimed during savage attack

This Is Wiltshire: Swindon Guide Dogs chairman Alan Fletcher Swindon Guide Dogs chairman Alan Fletcher

WITNESSES are being sought after a guide dog was attacked in Penhill.

The labrador-cross retriever was out with its owner when a large dog attacked it while walking in a field, between 8.30pm and 9pm on Monday.

Its visually impaired owner didn’t realise the dog had suffered injuries until a visitor to his home saw the animal on Tuesday morning.

The incident has been reported to Wiltshire Police and the dog is being treated by charity Guide Dogs in Southampton for injuries to its front legs.

Alan Fletcher, 66, Swindon Guide Dogs chairman, said: “Unfortunately, the owner doesn’t know what kind of dog carried out the attack but thinks it must have been quite big. Two people who were with the dog came over and said the guide dog hadn’t suffered any injuries.

“It seems like the dog is getting better while it’s being treated in Southampton but we don’t know whether it’ll ever return as a guide dog again. The owner is on his own and is absolutely distraught.

“He’s lost his independence and will have to go back to using a white cane for the forseeable future. If anybody saw the incident I’d ask them to contact the police.”

Any witnesses can call the police on 101 or alternatively information can be left anonymously with Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:00am Fri 25 Jul 14

house on the hill says...

Really disgusting but sadly not a surprise in this day and age. I do wonder sometimes if we are becoming less civilised as a society intsead of more.

I hope the Guide dog is ok and able to return to him and they catch the scum bag owner who's dog did that.
Really disgusting but sadly not a surprise in this day and age. I do wonder sometimes if we are becoming less civilised as a society intsead of more. I hope the Guide dog is ok and able to return to him and they catch the scum bag owner who's dog did that. house on the hill
  • Score: 37

11:29am Fri 25 Jul 14

there-their-they're says...

The dog attacking the guide dog is bad but the owners lying about the injuries is despicable. If I had an ounce of faith in human nature left it has now gone.
The dog attacking the guide dog is bad but the owners lying about the injuries is despicable. If I had an ounce of faith in human nature left it has now gone. there-their-they're
  • Score: 33

11:58am Fri 25 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Just makes me so angry scum bag,,,its not just a dog its someone entire way of life.
Tighter dog laws only effect the law abiding.
Hope the owners of the dog are found and fined cost of training new guide dog.
In response to house on the hill I think we are all becoming more introvert as a society and only care about our own little bubble. Less and less sense of community no legacy and virtually no responsibility.
Checking local CCTV in the area around the time should not be difficult the marks should indicate size etc...
Just makes me so angry scum bag,,,its not just a dog its someone entire way of life. Tighter dog laws only effect the law abiding. Hope the owners of the dog are found and fined cost of training new guide dog. In response to house on the hill I think we are all becoming more introvert as a society and only care about our own little bubble. Less and less sense of community no legacy and virtually no responsibility. Checking local CCTV in the area around the time should not be difficult the marks should indicate size etc... Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 18

12:07pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Amberflame says...

We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are. Amberflame
  • Score: 13

12:29pm Fri 25 Jul 14

RichardR1 says...

There is of course a gap in the law. Dog attacks on other animals don't count apparently when it comes to the full force of the law. If the man had been hurt in the attack things would be different.

As others have said the attack was bad enough but then exploiting the guys blindness and lying was beneath contempt. I feel for the man and his dog. I wish them well.
There is of course a gap in the law. Dog attacks on other animals don't count apparently when it comes to the full force of the law. If the man had been hurt in the attack things would be different. As others have said the attack was bad enough but then exploiting the guys blindness and lying was beneath contempt. I feel for the man and his dog. I wish them well. RichardR1
  • Score: 19

12:41pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Amberflame wrote:
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding.
Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then.
your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.
[quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.[/p][/quote]That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding. Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then. your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 3

12:41pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Amberflame wrote:
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding.
Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then.
your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.
[quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.[/p][/quote]That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding. Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then. your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 1

12:43pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Whoops sorry for multiple post.
I wish UK would stop looking to the US for answers it is a broken country with very little I would want in UK.
Whoops sorry for multiple post. I wish UK would stop looking to the US for answers it is a broken country with very little I would want in UK. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 8

12:49pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Amberflame says...

Badgersgetabadname wrote:
Amberflame wrote:
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding.
Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then.
your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.
I do not agree. I would imagine that some dog owners who have been involved in an incident where their dog has attacked another dog or person, considered themselves responsible owners! You all do apparently!!
[quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.[/p][/quote]That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding. Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then. your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.[/p][/quote]I do not agree. I would imagine that some dog owners who have been involved in an incident where their dog has attacked another dog or person, considered themselves responsible owners! You all do apparently!! Amberflame
  • Score: -3

1:00pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Amberflame wrote:
Badgersgetabadname wrote:
Amberflame wrote:
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding.
Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then.
your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.
I do not agree. I would imagine that some dog owners who have been involved in an incident where their dog has attacked another dog or person, considered themselves responsible owners! You all do apparently!!
Well you use the words imagine and most so that is specific enough to pass a law.
There would also be incident specific details to any incident by your logic we should put all teenagers on leads as well?
[quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.[/p][/quote]That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding. Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then. your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.[/p][/quote]I do not agree. I would imagine that some dog owners who have been involved in an incident where their dog has attacked another dog or person, considered themselves responsible owners! You all do apparently!![/p][/quote]Well you use the words imagine and most so that is specific enough to pass a law. There would also be incident specific details to any incident by your logic we should put all teenagers on leads as well? Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 7

1:01pm Fri 25 Jul 14

motley crue says...

The law states that the dog should not be dangerously out of control obviously this dog was out of control and the bastards should be jailed as a dog owner of 2 dogs I am fed up with walking my dogs and irresponsible **** with dogs off leads out of control mine you some owners with dogs on leads tearing at my dogs aggressively seem to think it is acceptable behaviour it is the owners fault not the dogs dogs should be kept on leads what about if it was a young child the dog went for instead of the guide dog these people should be punished severely.
The law states that the dog should not be dangerously out of control obviously this dog was out of control and the bastards should be jailed as a dog owner of 2 dogs I am fed up with walking my dogs and irresponsible **** with dogs off leads out of control mine you some owners with dogs on leads tearing at my dogs aggressively seem to think it is acceptable behaviour it is the owners fault not the dogs dogs should be kept on leads what about if it was a young child the dog went for instead of the guide dog these people should be punished severely. motley crue
  • Score: 12

1:12pm Fri 25 Jul 14

therocker says...

If a person relies on a dog for their independance and quality of life, as in the case of all guide dog users, then an attack on that dog should be regarded as an attack on the person.
If a person relies on a dog for their independance and quality of life, as in the case of all guide dog users, then an attack on that dog should be regarded as an attack on the person. therocker
  • Score: 31

2:06pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Amberflame says...

Badgersgetabadname wrote:
Amberflame wrote:
Badgersgetabadname wrote:
Amberflame wrote:
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding.
Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then.
your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.
I do not agree. I would imagine that some dog owners who have been involved in an incident where their dog has attacked another dog or person, considered themselves responsible owners! You all do apparently!!
Well you use the words imagine and most so that is specific enough to pass a law.
There would also be incident specific details to any incident by your logic we should put all teenagers on leads as well?
How about you just sick to the topic. I am not interested in silly word play. Teenagers are responsible for themselves. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs. It is my belief, that If you want to reduce this kind of incident keep your bloody dogs on a lead and if necessary, muzzled! That is my opinion. I also believe that there should be designated dog parks, for owners to take their dogs off lead. You have made no attempt to offer any opinion on what you would like to see done to stop this type of incident. If you do, then can I suggest you share it, instead of just trying to argue my point down.
[quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.[/p][/quote]That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding. Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then. your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.[/p][/quote]I do not agree. I would imagine that some dog owners who have been involved in an incident where their dog has attacked another dog or person, considered themselves responsible owners! You all do apparently!![/p][/quote]Well you use the words imagine and most so that is specific enough to pass a law. There would also be incident specific details to any incident by your logic we should put all teenagers on leads as well?[/p][/quote]How about you just sick to the topic. I am not interested in silly word play. Teenagers are responsible for themselves. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs. It is my belief, that If you want to reduce this kind of incident keep your bloody dogs on a lead and if necessary, muzzled! That is my opinion. I also believe that there should be designated dog parks, for owners to take their dogs off lead. You have made no attempt to offer any opinion on what you would like to see done to stop this type of incident. If you do, then can I suggest you share it, instead of just trying to argue my point down. Amberflame
  • Score: 1

3:18pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Jayne35 says...

What an awful thing to happen. Sadly I doubt that the lying thugs will be caught, unless someone knows who they were and reports them.

Amberflame, that would not work either as Guide Dogs also need exercise and could then still be attacked in a 'designated' area. As could any other owner or dog. All the posters on here probably are responsible owners (as I am), the irresponsible ones like in the article probably can't even read! Never mind type a comment!
What an awful thing to happen. Sadly I doubt that the lying thugs will be caught, unless someone knows who they were and reports them. Amberflame, that would not work either as Guide Dogs also need exercise and could then still be attacked in a 'designated' area. As could any other owner or dog. All the posters on here probably are responsible owners (as I am), the irresponsible ones like in the article probably can't even read! Never mind type a comment! Jayne35
  • Score: 6

4:24pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Amberflame wrote:
Badgersgetabadname wrote:
Amberflame wrote:
Badgersgetabadname wrote:
Amberflame wrote:
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding.
Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then.
your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.
I do not agree. I would imagine that some dog owners who have been involved in an incident where their dog has attacked another dog or person, considered themselves responsible owners! You all do apparently!!
Well you use the words imagine and most so that is specific enough to pass a law.
There would also be incident specific details to any incident by your logic we should put all teenagers on leads as well?
How about you just sick to the topic. I am not interested in silly word play. Teenagers are responsible for themselves. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs. It is my belief, that If you want to reduce this kind of incident keep your bloody dogs on a lead and if necessary, muzzled! That is my opinion. I also believe that there should be designated dog parks, for owners to take their dogs off lead. You have made no attempt to offer any opinion on what you would like to see done to stop this type of incident. If you do, then can I suggest you share it, instead of just trying to argue my point down.
wow the heat really does funny things to people.
Not sure the aggressive tone is needed either I used your argument in a similar circumstance to highlight how yours would not work, using an analogy rather than a long winded comment.
Apologies if you took offense to that.

The reason I havent jumped in with new laws is because the existing ones are fine but like so many laws they are not enforced.
Animals allot like children are effected by their upbringing or lack of I have no doubt the sort of scum that would not report attacking a guide dog would be capable of more serious crimes.
I would go so far as to say teenagers cause far more problems than dogs yet there is no knee jerk response to muzzle kids or make parents tether their children.

Is the point just that you do not like dogs?
[quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.[/p][/quote]That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding. Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then. your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.[/p][/quote]I do not agree. I would imagine that some dog owners who have been involved in an incident where their dog has attacked another dog or person, considered themselves responsible owners! You all do apparently!![/p][/quote]Well you use the words imagine and most so that is specific enough to pass a law. There would also be incident specific details to any incident by your logic we should put all teenagers on leads as well?[/p][/quote]How about you just sick to the topic. I am not interested in silly word play. Teenagers are responsible for themselves. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs. It is my belief, that If you want to reduce this kind of incident keep your bloody dogs on a lead and if necessary, muzzled! That is my opinion. I also believe that there should be designated dog parks, for owners to take their dogs off lead. You have made no attempt to offer any opinion on what you would like to see done to stop this type of incident. If you do, then can I suggest you share it, instead of just trying to argue my point down.[/p][/quote]wow the heat really does funny things to people. Not sure the aggressive tone is needed either I used your argument in a similar circumstance to highlight how yours would not work, using an analogy rather than a long winded comment. Apologies if you took offense to that. The reason I havent jumped in with new laws is because the existing ones are fine but like so many laws they are not enforced. Animals allot like children are effected by their upbringing or lack of I have no doubt the sort of scum that would not report attacking a guide dog would be capable of more serious crimes. I would go so far as to say teenagers cause far more problems than dogs yet there is no knee jerk response to muzzle kids or make parents tether their children. Is the point just that you do not like dogs? Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 3

4:59pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Jayne35 wrote:
What an awful thing to happen. Sadly I doubt that the lying thugs will be caught, unless someone knows who they were and reports them.

Amberflame, that would not work either as Guide Dogs also need exercise and could then still be attacked in a 'designated' area. As could any other owner or dog. All the posters on here probably are responsible owners (as I am), the irresponsible ones like in the article probably can't even read! Never mind type a comment!
Completely agree with you there.
Scum bags that break the law do not care about any new laws they only care about themselves.
[quote][p][bold]Jayne35[/bold] wrote: What an awful thing to happen. Sadly I doubt that the lying thugs will be caught, unless someone knows who they were and reports them. Amberflame, that would not work either as Guide Dogs also need exercise and could then still be attacked in a 'designated' area. As could any other owner or dog. All the posters on here probably are responsible owners (as I am), the irresponsible ones like in the article probably can't even read! Never mind type a comment![/p][/quote]Completely agree with you there. Scum bags that break the law do not care about any new laws they only care about themselves. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 2

5:40pm Fri 25 Jul 14

PJC says...

Badgersgetabadname wrote:
Amberflame wrote:
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding.
Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then.
your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.
At least if they are microchipped and/or had a licence, you could trace the owner. If not, take the dog away and let someone responsible look after it. I'm a law abiding dog owner and I wouldn't mind. It may weed out some of the bad owners.
[quote][p][bold]Badgersgetabadname[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.[/p][/quote]That is not a solution it is another law that only effects the law abiding. Its like saying stealing is illegal....Well thats that fixed then. your suggestion will not do anything but annoy honest dog owners.[/p][/quote]At least if they are microchipped and/or had a licence, you could trace the owner. If not, take the dog away and let someone responsible look after it. I'm a law abiding dog owner and I wouldn't mind. It may weed out some of the bad owners. PJC
  • Score: 3

5:55pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Al Smith says...

Amberflame wrote:
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
Dog Parks may well be the only way forward in the long term. Unfortunately you won't be able to reason with a large proportion of dog owners. They'll give every excuse in the book for why they should allowed to do what they want and where they want with their dogs.

I wonder how many "responsible" dog owners here realise that when they are walking their dogs on what is termed open access land (open countryside and common land) they have to them on a lead between 1st March and 31st July?

It seems to me that the growing trend currently is that the moment you own anything be it a car, dog, bike... you forget your responsibilities and just blather on about your rights.
[quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.[/p][/quote]Dog Parks may well be the only way forward in the long term. Unfortunately you won't be able to reason with a large proportion of dog owners. They'll give every excuse in the book for why they should allowed to do what they want and where they want with their dogs. I wonder how many "responsible" dog owners here realise that when they are walking their dogs on what is termed open access land (open countryside and common land) they have to them on a lead between 1st March and 31st July? It seems to me that the growing trend currently is that the moment you own anything be it a car, dog, bike... you forget your responsibilities and just blather on about your rights. Al Smith
  • Score: 3

6:55pm Fri 25 Jul 14

6petals says...

A dreadful thing to happen. I was bitten by a dog once and am now nervous of them. While walking in Lydiard Park once some dogs off their leads jumped up at me. I was scared but the caring owner told me it was my fault, what do you expect when you walk round a park!
A dreadful thing to happen. I was bitten by a dog once and am now nervous of them. While walking in Lydiard Park once some dogs off their leads jumped up at me. I was scared but the caring owner told me it was my fault, what do you expect when you walk round a park! 6petals
  • Score: 1

8:53pm Fri 25 Jul 14

roberto5 says...

One dog warden for the whole of Swindon, plus the Police not being interested, plus having the Dangerous Dogs Act being one of there worst pieces of legislation ever. No surprise it keeps happening.
One dog warden for the whole of Swindon, plus the Police not being interested, plus having the Dangerous Dogs Act being one of there worst pieces of legislation ever. No surprise it keeps happening. roberto5
  • Score: 4

9:11pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Oik1 says...

With you all the way Amberflame, designated dog parks should be the one and only place any dogs should be allowed off the lead, if found anywhere else off the lead then a destruction order should be enforced, no dog, no irresponsible ownership, banned from owning for life.
Make and enforce responsible dog ownership along with the responsibilitys that ownership brings with regard other members of the public.
With you all the way Amberflame, designated dog parks should be the one and only place any dogs should be allowed off the lead, if found anywhere else off the lead then a destruction order should be enforced, no dog, no irresponsible ownership, banned from owning for life. Make and enforce responsible dog ownership along with the responsibilitys that ownership brings with regard other members of the public. Oik1
  • Score: -5

9:55pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Amberflame says...

Oik1 wrote:
With you all the way Amberflame, designated dog parks should be the one and only place any dogs should be allowed off the lead, if found anywhere else off the lead then a destruction order should be enforced, no dog, no irresponsible ownership, banned from owning for life.
Make and enforce responsible dog ownership along with the responsibilitys that ownership brings with regard other members of the public.
Apparently, my point of view leads some people to suggest that I do not like dogs. Tired argument, that one!
[quote][p][bold]Oik1[/bold] wrote: With you all the way Amberflame, designated dog parks should be the one and only place any dogs should be allowed off the lead, if found anywhere else off the lead then a destruction order should be enforced, no dog, no irresponsible ownership, banned from owning for life. Make and enforce responsible dog ownership along with the responsibilitys that ownership brings with regard other members of the public.[/p][/quote]Apparently, my point of view leads some people to suggest that I do not like dogs. Tired argument, that one! Amberflame
  • Score: -1

10:07pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Amberflame says...

Al Smith wrote:
Amberflame wrote:
We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own.
The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.
Dog Parks may well be the only way forward in the long term. Unfortunately you won't be able to reason with a large proportion of dog owners. They'll give every excuse in the book for why they should allowed to do what they want and where they want with their dogs.

I wonder how many "responsible" dog owners here realise that when they are walking their dogs on what is termed open access land (open countryside and common land) they have to them on a lead between 1st March and 31st July?

It seems to me that the growing trend currently is that the moment you own anything be it a car, dog, bike... you forget your responsibilities and just blather on about your rights.
Many dog owners live in their own little world where everyone should love their doggies because suggesting that they are kept on leads and wanting designated dog parks means you dislike dogs.
[quote][p][bold]Al Smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but there will always be irresponsible pet owners who take no or little responsibility for the pets they own. The only real effective way to stop this kind of think is to introduce laws like they have in America where dogs are only allowed off leads in designated 'Dog Parks'. And even then, if your dog cannot socialize with other dogs they are banned! Pet dogs should not be attacking other dogs, no excuses. I hope these particular owners are ashamed of themselves, somehow I doubt they are.[/p][/quote]Dog Parks may well be the only way forward in the long term. Unfortunately you won't be able to reason with a large proportion of dog owners. They'll give every excuse in the book for why they should allowed to do what they want and where they want with their dogs. I wonder how many "responsible" dog owners here realise that when they are walking their dogs on what is termed open access land (open countryside and common land) they have to them on a lead between 1st March and 31st July? It seems to me that the growing trend currently is that the moment you own anything be it a car, dog, bike... you forget your responsibilities and just blather on about your rights.[/p][/quote]Many dog owners live in their own little world where everyone should love their doggies because suggesting that they are kept on leads and wanting designated dog parks means you dislike dogs. Amberflame
  • Score: 1

11:03pm Fri 25 Jul 14

messyits says...

RichardR1 wrote:
There is of course a gap in the law. Dog attacks on other animals don't count apparently when it comes to the full force of the law. If the man had been hurt in the attack things would be different.

As others have said the attack was bad enough but then exploiting the guys blindness and lying was beneath contempt. I feel for the man and his dog. I wish them well.
You are misleading folk--most laws are not seamless and an average lawyer would know precedents exist that fit this incident. I would be surprised if no lawyers have contacted him.
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: There is of course a gap in the law. Dog attacks on other animals don't count apparently when it comes to the full force of the law. If the man had been hurt in the attack things would be different. As others have said the attack was bad enough but then exploiting the guys blindness and lying was beneath contempt. I feel for the man and his dog. I wish them well.[/p][/quote]You are misleading folk--most laws are not seamless and an average lawyer would know precedents exist that fit this incident. I would be surprised if no lawyers have contacted him. messyits
  • Score: -4

12:49pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Amberflame wrote:
Oik1 wrote:
With you all the way Amberflame, designated dog parks should be the one and only place any dogs should be allowed off the lead, if found anywhere else off the lead then a destruction order should be enforced, no dog, no irresponsible ownership, banned from owning for life.
Make and enforce responsible dog ownership along with the responsibilitys that ownership brings with regard other members of the public.
Apparently, my point of view leads some people to suggest that I do not like dogs. Tired argument, that one!
Your funny.
Loving the passive aggressive.......
[quote][p][bold]Amberflame[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oik1[/bold] wrote: With you all the way Amberflame, designated dog parks should be the one and only place any dogs should be allowed off the lead, if found anywhere else off the lead then a destruction order should be enforced, no dog, no irresponsible ownership, banned from owning for life. Make and enforce responsible dog ownership along with the responsibilitys that ownership brings with regard other members of the public.[/p][/quote]Apparently, my point of view leads some people to suggest that I do not like dogs. Tired argument, that one![/p][/quote]Your funny. Loving the passive aggressive....... Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: -4

4:15pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

For the most part I walk my dogs on my own land so no issue with public safety etc...Sometimes I need to walk them where there are members of the public so they go on the lead.
There are irresponsible people everywhere, people parking in areas designated for emergency vehicles to those throwing rubbish and waste out and leaving for others to deal with. Yet there is no suggestion of blanket bans or all being punished because of the actions of a few.
Dog walking parks are fine but where will they be located will considerations be made to ensure all owners can use the parks? Will these be new parks built for purpose bearing in mind some dogs need far bigger spaces than others?
Those that have suggested dog walking parks would you be happy for one of these parks to be built near you?
Is this a nimby issue?
How will the ideas of dog parks develop? costs incurred? Sites to build? So many things to consider than just I dont want dogs near.
Given that dog are in round 25% of homes in the UK this will effect a massive amount of people?
For the most part I walk my dogs on my own land so no issue with public safety etc...Sometimes I need to walk them where there are members of the public so they go on the lead. There are irresponsible people everywhere, people parking in areas designated for emergency vehicles to those throwing rubbish and waste out and leaving for others to deal with. Yet there is no suggestion of blanket bans or all being punished because of the actions of a few. Dog walking parks are fine but where will they be located will considerations be made to ensure all owners can use the parks? Will these be new parks built for purpose bearing in mind some dogs need far bigger spaces than others? Those that have suggested dog walking parks would you be happy for one of these parks to be built near you? Is this a nimby issue? How will the ideas of dog parks develop? costs incurred? Sites to build? So many things to consider than just I dont want dogs near. Given that dog are in round 25% of homes in the UK this will effect a massive amount of people? Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 7

10:09pm Sat 26 Jul 14

Hammer5 says...

Today the dog tomorrow the vandal the next day the unemployed!!!!
My suggestion is lets all try to live together and maybe be more considerate of each other because it might not be you who suffers but I can assure you your children will because they will grow up in a world of everyone for themselves.
To the people who have a comment about everything and anything on this site get a life and make some friends because its probably why your family have disowned you!!
Today the dog tomorrow the vandal the next day the unemployed!!!! My suggestion is lets all try to live together and maybe be more considerate of each other because it might not be you who suffers but I can assure you your children will because they will grow up in a world of everyone for themselves. To the people who have a comment about everything and anything on this site get a life and make some friends because its probably why your family have disowned you!! Hammer5
  • Score: 12

12:23pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Hammer5 wrote:
Today the dog tomorrow the vandal the next day the unemployed!!!!
My suggestion is lets all try to live together and maybe be more considerate of each other because it might not be you who suffers but I can assure you your children will because they will grow up in a world of everyone for themselves.
To the people who have a comment about everything and anything on this site get a life and make some friends because its probably why your family have disowned you!!
Like a modern day prophet.
Evidence suggests we are already in the world you reference a wonderful suggestion though well done you.
[quote][p][bold]Hammer5[/bold] wrote: Today the dog tomorrow the vandal the next day the unemployed!!!! My suggestion is lets all try to live together and maybe be more considerate of each other because it might not be you who suffers but I can assure you your children will because they will grow up in a world of everyone for themselves. To the people who have a comment about everything and anything on this site get a life and make some friends because its probably why your family have disowned you!![/p][/quote]Like a modern day prophet. Evidence suggests we are already in the world you reference a wonderful suggestion though well done you. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 1

7:27pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Sooooooo Amber was this too much idea development curious to know your response to above reply on how and where dog parks would work.
Sooooooo Amber was this too much idea development curious to know your response to above reply on how and where dog parks would work. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree