A man who smashed a beer glass into the head of another drinker outside a Pewsey pub has been jailed for two years and eight months.

Daniel Evetts had been pestering the victim's girlfriend before he launched the booze-fuelled assault.

Victim Thomas Smart, 28, was covered in blood from gaping wounds in the incident at the Royal Oak on Sunday, June 22.

Colin Meeke, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court today that Mr Smart was at the pub with a large group of friends.

Also there was the defendant, who was clearly drunk, and was being very loud and pestering some of the girls in the victim's group.

Evetts was targetting Mr Smart's girlfriend and Mr Smart remonstrated with him, pushing Evetts back with both hands, said Mr Meek.

"As a result of the push he [Evetts] stumbled backwards and he brought his hand round from behind his back and hit him [Mr Smart]. The hand was holding a beer glass," said Mr Meeke.

The impact left Mr Smart with a gash to the back of his neck which was three to four inches long and about 15mm in width.

There was also a cut to his left temple which severed an artery which had to be clamped to stop the bleeding before it was stitched along with other smaller cuts.

Evetts, of High Street, Pewsey, pleaded guilty to a charge of unlawful wounding.

He denied the more serious charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and prosecutors offered no evidence.

The court heard he had a number of previous convictions including assault, a firearm offence and, a few weeks before the glassing, had been fined for assaulting his partner.

Robin Shellard, defending, said his client was very sorry about what happened and wished the apology to be conveyed to the victim.

He said after being released from prison in 2011 he had hoped to live a law-abiding life, and had a job and a partner.

The attack was a single blow, he said, and had caused him to lose his job and relationship and meant he wuld not see his young child.

Judge Tim Mousley QC said: "You reacted to being quite rightly pushed away by lashing out with a glass in your hand, it was a heavy pint glass, and that blow was aimed at Mr Smart's head.

"The injuries caused profuse blood loss to him. There was no sign of remorse from you then, you continued to be extremely vocal.

"That behaviour was despite the fact your use of the glass had actually injured your own hand.

"The major injury, a cut to the left hand side of his head which was up to four inches long. Also a cut to his left temple which had severed his artery in that area, also other cuts to his head."

As well as the 32-month jail term he also ordered Evetts pay £500 compensation and a £120 victim surcharge.