733 patients left in backlog limbo

This Is Wiltshire: From left, consultant Graham Banfield, registrar Guna Reddy-Kolanu and scrub sister Cris Potts carry out an operation at GWH From left, consultant Graham Banfield, registrar Guna Reddy-Kolanu and scrub sister Cris Potts carry out an operation at GWH

NEARLY 750 patients are still waiting for treatment more than 18 weeks after being referred to the Great Western Hospital.

As of August 18, 733 patients had not been seen by a consultant or been booked for an operation in the required four and a half months.

The previous June, the number of patients left in limbo had reached 1,029.

And the backlog remains considerable with 3,803 patients on the the waiting list for treatment.

While increased demand generally has left the hospital struggling, the failure to meet its 18-week wait target is by no means endemic to Swindon, according to GWH.

“We have experienced an increase in the number of patients waiting longer than 18 weeks to be treated,” said Kevin McNamara, director of strategy.

“There are a number of factors which have contributed to this issue alongside the increase in demand, in particular during the winter period – elective activity over the winter was reduced to manage the significant emergency pressures being experienced.

“This increase has been experienced primarily in Oral Surgery and general growth across other specialities.”

In order to cope, the hospital took the decision to focus on those awaiting treatment and therefore knowingly fail its 18-week target. It has now received a share of £250m from Government to allow it to tackle its waiting list.

“To resolve this, the board took a decision in May to implement a Referral to Treatment action plan to reduce the backlog,” said Mr McNamara.

“In essence this means that the Trust has taken the decision to fail to meet the quarter two RTT target so that we are able to treat all of those patients who are overdue treatment. The plan means that by the end of September all of these overdue patients will have been treated.

“Trusts nationally are experiencing similar pressures and since we took this decision in May, the government has released £250m of national funds to support Trusts in reducing their waiting list backlog to bring them back in line with the 18-week target.

“At the same time, to build resilience going forward, we have completely revised our Elective Access, Booking & Choice of Date Policy.

“This will ensure a much more robust approach to the way in which we manage elective patient pathways, reduce inefficiencies and maximise the use of available capacity via the effective booking of out-patient clinics, diagnostic sessions and theatre lists.

“It will also ensure that patients are treated in strict chronological order, taking account of their clinical priority.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:41am Thu 4 Sep 14

Alan Bast*rd says...

I am in no doubt that if the Tories remain in government, their solution will be to flog the nhs off.
The problem is the huge rise in population with a health service that hasn't grown with it.
I am in no doubt that if the Tories remain in government, their solution will be to flog the nhs off. The problem is the huge rise in population with a health service that hasn't grown with it. Alan Bast*rd
  • Score: -1

9:44am Thu 4 Sep 14

Always Grumpy says...

I understand the 'Medway' booking system is a disaster. Perhaps the Adver might like to look into this fiasco as well?
Of course, if a drastic cull of the 'non jobs' and pointless and useless managers at GWH were carried out and front line clinical staff appointed then the situation might just improve.
Unfortunately, rather like in local government which needs the same sort of cull, it's unlikely to happen.
I understand the 'Medway' booking system is a disaster. Perhaps the Adver might like to look into this fiasco as well? Of course, if a drastic cull of the 'non jobs' and pointless and useless managers at GWH were carried out and front line clinical staff appointed then the situation might just improve. Unfortunately, rather like in local government which needs the same sort of cull, it's unlikely to happen. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 7

10:11am Thu 4 Sep 14

candid friend says...

Contracting out to private hospitals is not the panacea it is claimed to be.l
My recent experience of a cataract operation, was that there was a problem with an impacted eyelid after the cataract had been dealt with.
This was not covered by the agreement between the Trust and the private hospital concerned.
The GWH could not deal with the problem for a very long time , and I had to pay the private hospital to get the eyelids operated on.
There have also been reports of serious eye problems caused elsewhere in the country by cataract operations going wrong.
In my opinion contracting out is no solution, and the GWH should be given the resources to do the job properly.
Where is the saving to the patient when they have to pay the private hospital to put right, what they got wrong?
Contracting out to private hospitals is not the panacea it is claimed to be.l My recent experience of a cataract operation, was that there was a problem with an impacted eyelid after the cataract had been dealt with. This was not covered by the agreement between the Trust and the private hospital concerned. The GWH could not deal with the problem for a very long time , and I had to pay the private hospital to get the eyelids operated on. There have also been reports of serious eye problems caused elsewhere in the country by cataract operations going wrong. In my opinion contracting out is no solution, and the GWH should be given the resources to do the job properly. Where is the saving to the patient when they have to pay the private hospital to put right, what they got wrong? candid friend
  • Score: 11

10:16am Thu 4 Sep 14

Robh says...

I have a hip problem and in June was given a choice of seeing a specialist in Cirencester in July or GWH in September. No contest.
I have a hip problem and in June was given a choice of seeing a specialist in Cirencester in July or GWH in September. No contest. Robh
  • Score: 6

10:54am Thu 4 Sep 14

house on the hill says...

Sorry but I get really annoyed when people moan about this sort of thing. We are spending tens if not hundreds of £billions every year on people with self inflicted illnesses, injuries and disabilities. The NHS is not a bottomless pit, there to endlessly pick up the pieces of peoples lifestyle choices. There is only a set amount of money available and we need to be far more responsible as individuals so it is used for those who really need it.

And to all those who say "i have paid my tax and NI so I deserve this that and the other", there are millions out there who haven't paid anywhere near the costs of their treatment and that is covered by those who have also paid are are more responsible about their own health. Add to that those who pay the most tax more than likely have private healthcare so never take anything back from the NHS and you can see how much worse it could be.

We need to wake up and stop complaining about something we actually have a lot more control over than we admit.
Sorry but I get really annoyed when people moan about this sort of thing. We are spending tens if not hundreds of £billions every year on people with self inflicted illnesses, injuries and disabilities. The NHS is not a bottomless pit, there to endlessly pick up the pieces of peoples lifestyle choices. There is only a set amount of money available and we need to be far more responsible as individuals so it is used for those who really need it. And to all those who say "i have paid my tax and NI so I deserve this that and the other", there are millions out there who haven't paid anywhere near the costs of their treatment and that is covered by those who have also paid are are more responsible about their own health. Add to that those who pay the most tax more than likely have private healthcare so never take anything back from the NHS and you can see how much worse it could be. We need to wake up and stop complaining about something we actually have a lot more control over than we admit. house on the hill
  • Score: 8

10:58am Thu 4 Sep 14

Sandor Clegane says...

The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct.

Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse.

The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.
The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct. Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse. The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare. Sandor Clegane
  • Score: 12

12:38pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Sandor Clegane wrote:
The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct.

Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse.

The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.
I agree.
The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems
[quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct. Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse. The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.[/p][/quote]I agree. The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -1

1:53pm Thu 4 Sep 14

colm50 says...

4 1/2 months ha I waited 7 months
4 1/2 months ha I waited 7 months colm50
  • Score: 1

2:05pm Thu 4 Sep 14

house on the hill says...

Sandor Clegane wrote:
The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct.

Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse.

The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.
The huge strain is by the millions of lazy unhealthy people who see the NHS as a bottomless pit of money, there for them to use immediately whenever their selfish unhealthy lifestyles require it. I will bet you they spend a hundred times more on self inflicted illnesses, injuries and disablities than they do on immigrants. This obsession of claiming that immigration is ruining the country is just scaremongering, we have done a bl00dy good job of messing up the NHS and the welfare state without them.

And as you say add to that the lazy wasters who don't contribute anything or very little but take a lot and it isnt hard to see why its a mess. Just imagine if they abolished the NHS and made people responsible for their own healthcare!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct. Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse. The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.[/p][/quote]The huge strain is by the millions of lazy unhealthy people who see the NHS as a bottomless pit of money, there for them to use immediately whenever their selfish unhealthy lifestyles require it. I will bet you they spend a hundred times more on self inflicted illnesses, injuries and disablities than they do on immigrants. This obsession of claiming that immigration is ruining the country is just scaremongering, we have done a bl00dy good job of messing up the NHS and the welfare state without them. And as you say add to that the lazy wasters who don't contribute anything or very little but take a lot and it isnt hard to see why its a mess. Just imagine if they abolished the NHS and made people responsible for their own healthcare!!!!! house on the hill
  • Score: 3

10:22am Fri 5 Sep 14

Sandor Clegane says...

Ollie Dognacky wrote:
Sandor Clegane wrote:
The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct.

Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse.

The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.
I agree.
The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems
Agreed, it's a shame we have a coalition government as it's the LibDems who've blocked anything that may have been worthwhile.

Still, Labour will be back to ruin everything even faster and more abysmally after May next year. No doubt you'll be rejoicing about that. The really worrying thing is that Clegg and the LibDems will still be part of the Labour coalition government next year.

Worse times ahead, sadly.
[quote][p][bold]Ollie Dognacky[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct. Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse. The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.[/p][/quote]I agree. The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems[/p][/quote]Agreed, it's a shame we have a coalition government as it's the LibDems who've blocked anything that may have been worthwhile. Still, Labour will be back to ruin everything even faster and more abysmally after May next year. No doubt you'll be rejoicing about that. The really worrying thing is that Clegg and the LibDems will still be part of the Labour coalition government next year. Worse times ahead, sadly. Sandor Clegane
  • Score: 7

2:01pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Sandor Clegane says...

@House on the Hill


This obsession of claiming that immigration is ruining the country is just scaremongering


That's exactly the same attitude, and lie, that allowed 1400 girls to be raped over a decade in Rotherham. Get your head out of the sand.

Even Labour admitted it back in 2007 and it's only got worse since then.

http://www.standard.
co.uk/news/governmen
t-finally-admits-imm
igration-is-placing-
huge-strain-on-brita
in-7300265.html
@House on the Hill [quote] This obsession of claiming that immigration is ruining the country is just scaremongering [/quote] That's exactly the same attitude, and lie, that allowed 1400 girls to be raped over a decade in Rotherham. Get your head out of the sand. Even Labour admitted it back in 2007 and it's only got worse since then. http://www.standard. co.uk/news/governmen t-finally-admits-imm igration-is-placing- huge-strain-on-brita in-7300265.html Sandor Clegane
  • Score: 6

5:35pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Sandor Clegane wrote:
Ollie Dognacky wrote:
Sandor Clegane wrote:
The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct.

Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse.

The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.
I agree.
The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems
Agreed, it's a shame we have a coalition government as it's the LibDems who've blocked anything that may have been worthwhile.

Still, Labour will be back to ruin everything even faster and more abysmally after May next year. No doubt you'll be rejoicing about that. The really worrying thing is that Clegg and the LibDems will still be part of the Labour coalition government next year.

Worse times ahead, sadly.
Not sure what you think I'll be rejoicing 😐
In the last general election I voted Tory.
I had hoped they would tighten up on law and order.
I also thought they might tighten up the immigration scenario.
Unfortunately, the tories (and libdems) have been very disappointing in both those issues.
Thus proving all political parties are incompetent. 😳
I don't see why you think that is something to "rejoice" 😐
Still you always did spout jibberish in order to re-hatch you "13 years of Labour blah blah blah" nonsense.

If you ever take your blue blinkers off, you'll be able to see more 😜
[quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ollie Dognacky[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct. Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse. The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.[/p][/quote]I agree. The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems[/p][/quote]Agreed, it's a shame we have a coalition government as it's the LibDems who've blocked anything that may have been worthwhile. Still, Labour will be back to ruin everything even faster and more abysmally after May next year. No doubt you'll be rejoicing about that. The really worrying thing is that Clegg and the LibDems will still be part of the Labour coalition government next year. Worse times ahead, sadly.[/p][/quote]Not sure what you think I'll be rejoicing 😐 In the last general election I voted Tory. I had hoped they would tighten up on law and order. I also thought they might tighten up the immigration scenario. Unfortunately, the tories (and libdems) have been very disappointing in both those issues. Thus proving all political parties are incompetent. 😳 I don't see why you think that is something to "rejoice" 😐 Still you always did spout jibberish in order to re-hatch you "13 years of Labour blah blah blah" nonsense. If you ever take your blue blinkers off, you'll be able to see more 😜 Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -1

9:31am Sat 6 Sep 14

Sandor Clegane says...

Ollie Dognacky wrote:
Sandor Clegane wrote:
Ollie Dognacky wrote:
Sandor Clegane wrote:
The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct.

Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse.

The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.
I agree.
The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems
Agreed, it's a shame we have a coalition government as it's the LibDems who've blocked anything that may have been worthwhile.

Still, Labour will be back to ruin everything even faster and more abysmally after May next year. No doubt you'll be rejoicing about that. The really worrying thing is that Clegg and the LibDems will still be part of the Labour coalition government next year.

Worse times ahead, sadly.
Not sure what you think I'll be rejoicing 😐
In the last general election I voted Tory.
I had hoped they would tighten up on law and order.
I also thought they might tighten up the immigration scenario.
Unfortunately, the tories (and libdems) have been very disappointing in both those issues.
Thus proving all political parties are incompetent. 😳
I don't see why you think that is something to "rejoice" 😐
Still you always did spout jibberish in order to re-hatch you "13 years of Labour blah blah blah" nonsense.

If you ever take your blue blinkers off, you'll be able to see more 😜
Who will you be voting for next time, Empty Car Park?
[quote][p][bold]Ollie Dognacky[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ollie Dognacky[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct. Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse. The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.[/p][/quote]I agree. The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems[/p][/quote]Agreed, it's a shame we have a coalition government as it's the LibDems who've blocked anything that may have been worthwhile. Still, Labour will be back to ruin everything even faster and more abysmally after May next year. No doubt you'll be rejoicing about that. The really worrying thing is that Clegg and the LibDems will still be part of the Labour coalition government next year. Worse times ahead, sadly.[/p][/quote]Not sure what you think I'll be rejoicing 😐 In the last general election I voted Tory. I had hoped they would tighten up on law and order. I also thought they might tighten up the immigration scenario. Unfortunately, the tories (and libdems) have been very disappointing in both those issues. Thus proving all political parties are incompetent. 😳 I don't see why you think that is something to "rejoice" 😐 Still you always did spout jibberish in order to re-hatch you "13 years of Labour blah blah blah" nonsense. If you ever take your blue blinkers off, you'll be able to see more 😜[/p][/quote]Who will you be voting for next time, Empty Car Park? Sandor Clegane
  • Score: 4

12:29pm Sat 6 Sep 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Sandor Clegane wrote:
Ollie Dognacky wrote:
Sandor Clegane wrote:
Ollie Dognacky wrote:
Sandor Clegane wrote:
The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct.

Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse.

The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.
I agree.
The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems
Agreed, it's a shame we have a coalition government as it's the LibDems who've blocked anything that may have been worthwhile.

Still, Labour will be back to ruin everything even faster and more abysmally after May next year. No doubt you'll be rejoicing about that. The really worrying thing is that Clegg and the LibDems will still be part of the Labour coalition government next year.

Worse times ahead, sadly.
Not sure what you think I'll be rejoicing 😐
In the last general election I voted Tory.
I had hoped they would tighten up on law and order.
I also thought they might tighten up the immigration scenario.
Unfortunately, the tories (and libdems) have been very disappointing in both those issues.
Thus proving all political parties are incompetent. 😳
I don't see why you think that is something to "rejoice" 😐
Still you always did spout jibberish in order to re-hatch you "13 years of Labour blah blah blah" nonsense.

If you ever take your blue blinkers off, you'll be able to see more 😜
Who will you be voting for next time, Empty Car Park?
I doubt I'll bother to vote in the next general election, for the reasons already stated ( maybe UKIP as a protest vote)
However, the current Tory administration in Swindon is well past its use by date.
I believe people should focus on councillors past activities when they vote in the local elections.
As I have explained to your blinkered head many times
[quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ollie Dognacky[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ollie Dognacky[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sandor Clegane[/bold] wrote: The huge strain on the NHS has primarily been caused by Labour's policy of uncontrolled immigration - which the current government have singularly failed to correct. Still, as the evidence shows, you can keep on throwing money at the NHS and it never gets any better. In fact, they spend more of our money on it than at any point in history and it's actually getting worse. The elephant in the room, of course, is the number of people who don't actually pay a penny towards their NHS healthcare.[/p][/quote]I agree. The Tories have done absolutely nothing to stop the immigrants and NHS problems[/p][/quote]Agreed, it's a shame we have a coalition government as it's the LibDems who've blocked anything that may have been worthwhile. Still, Labour will be back to ruin everything even faster and more abysmally after May next year. No doubt you'll be rejoicing about that. The really worrying thing is that Clegg and the LibDems will still be part of the Labour coalition government next year. Worse times ahead, sadly.[/p][/quote]Not sure what you think I'll be rejoicing 😐 In the last general election I voted Tory. I had hoped they would tighten up on law and order. I also thought they might tighten up the immigration scenario. Unfortunately, the tories (and libdems) have been very disappointing in both those issues. Thus proving all political parties are incompetent. 😳 I don't see why you think that is something to "rejoice" 😐 Still you always did spout jibberish in order to re-hatch you "13 years of Labour blah blah blah" nonsense. If you ever take your blue blinkers off, you'll be able to see more 😜[/p][/quote]Who will you be voting for next time, Empty Car Park?[/p][/quote]I doubt I'll bother to vote in the next general election, for the reasons already stated ( maybe UKIP as a protest vote) However, the current Tory administration in Swindon is well past its use by date. I believe people should focus on councillors past activities when they vote in the local elections. As I have explained to your blinkered head many times Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree