VOLUNTEERS who help the homeless in Trowbridge have described Kieren Church, who died after a struggle with a security guard outside a supermarket, as a 'well-liked man'.

The 30-year-old, of no fixed address, died outside Asda in Bythesea Road from injuries he received as a result of falling on glass bottles he had allegedly stolen from another supermarket in the town.

Mr Church had been tackled by a 20-year-old security guard, who is believed to have followed him through the town last Thursday from Sainsbury's, and who thought he was shoplifting.

Volunteers at Breakthrough, based at the Salvation Army building in Castle Street, Trowbridge, said Kieren had visited the group on a number of occasions and remembered him as a well-liked man.

The Rev Barrie Dearlove, manager of Breakthrough, said: “I didn’t know Kieren personally but I know the volunteers thought well of him. He didn’t come in here regularly but he never caused any trouble and everyone seemed to like him.

"It is very sad that he died, I know some of our volunteers were shocked to hear about it. Here at Breakthrough we don’t ever judge people, we welcome them in and support them and make sure they are warm and are fed.”

The Shires shopping centre and Asda have both confirmed that the security guard involved in the incident was not one of their employees. A spokesman for Sainsbury's on British Row said: "We will support the police investigation in any way we can. We can’t comment any further on individual colleagues.”

Police and ambulance crews were called to The Shires car park at 3pm last Thursday. Despite efforts from paramedics, who had two air ambulances and land ambulances on standby, Mr Church died at the scene.

Mr Church’s family, who are believed to be from Cornwall, said this week: "Kieren was a much loved son, brother, grandson and friend to many. He will be sadly missed."

The security guard involved in the incident has been released on bail pending further enquiry and is expected to return to Melksham police station in May.

DCI Jeremy Carter, of the Brunel Major Crime Investigation Team, speaking on Friday, said: “Just after 3pm yesterday the police were called to the shopping centre to reports of an altercation between a security guard and a member of the public. As a result a man has died.

"We are examining CCTV footage from the area and appealing for witnesses. It was a very busy time with people leaving school and shopping. Anyone who may have information are asked to call the police on 101 or Crimestoppers."