New campaign to rid Westbury of dog mess

This Is Wiltshire: Community area manager Sally Hendry with poster dog Harry, Area Board chairman Mike Cuthbert-Murray and Mayor Sue Ezra Community area manager Sally Hendry with poster dog Harry, Area Board chairman Mike Cuthbert-Murray and Mayor Sue Ezra

Westbury Area Board plans to send out a warning to irresponsible dog owners when it launches a brand new dog fouling awareness campaign tomorrow.

The campaign is funded by the Westbury area board and backed by Westbury Town Council.

People visiting the stand in Westbury High Street will be able to get free poo bags and advice about responsible dog ownership from a Wilt-shire Council dog warden.

Posters with the caption ‘Don’t give your dog a bad name – pick up after them’ have been distributed to schools and villages in the Westbury community area and they will also be on every litter bin in the town.

Chairman of Westbury Area Board Mike Cuthbert Murray said: “It is unacceptable for dog owners to allow their dogs to make a mess of Westbury and we are launching this campaign to clamp down on dog fouling.

“We have discussed this campaign for a long time, but after a number of complaints we decided to press ahead.

“The vast majority of dog owners act responsibly, but there are still owners who give the rest a bad name.”

Cllr Cuthbert Murray will be joined by Westbury Mayor Sue Ezra and Wiltshire Council Cabinet member Keith Humphries for the campaign launch tomorrow.

Dog owners are obligated by law to pick up any mess made by their pets in public places such as roads, footpaths, school playing fields, sports fields and parks.

As well as the dog fouling campaign launch, Westbury Area Board will also be offering free micro chipping for dogs, which will be carried out by the dog warden from 10am-12pm.

The Government recently announced that micro chipping will be mandatory from April 2016, with every dog in the UK set to be entered on a database. There will be a £500 fine issued to any owner failing to chip their dog.

Cllr Cuthbert Murray added: “Micro chipping dogs is something that has just been announced nationally, so it is very much a current issue and you could say we are ahead of the trend.

“It will help identify dogs and will help keep Westbury safe, happy and clean.”

Free dog poo bags are available at the Westbury Town Council offices and the Heritage Centre.

Anybody who spots someone not clearing up after their dog should report offenders by ringing 0300 456 0100, or online at www.wiltshire.gov.uk

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:00am Sun 17 Feb 13

Mrs Donnyfly says...

Councillor Murray said of microchipping... "It will help identify dogs and will help keep Westbury safe, happy and clean."

How does a microchip stop a dog unloading on to the pavement and an irresponsible owner leaving the scene?
Councillor Murray said of microchipping... "It will help identify dogs and will help keep Westbury safe, happy and clean." How does a microchip stop a dog unloading on to the pavement and an irresponsible owner leaving the scene? Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

10:56am Sun 17 Feb 13

beetawix says...

Anybody who spots someone not clearing up after their dog should report offenders...........
........

Then what happens, in the likelihood that the identity of the offending someone is not known and is long gone by the time Captain Poo of the council arrives.
Anybody who spots someone not clearing up after their dog should report offenders........... ........ Then what happens, in the likelihood that the identity of the offending someone is not known and is long gone by the time Captain Poo of the council arrives. beetawix
  • Score: 0

3:19pm Sun 17 Feb 13

cght36 says...

I agree, its ok having the schemes but useless if nothing is done to the person not clearing up after their dog!! By the time someone arrives they will be long gone and its your word against theirs!!
I agree, its ok having the schemes but useless if nothing is done to the person not clearing up after their dog!! By the time someone arrives they will be long gone and its your word against theirs!! cght36
  • Score: 0

3:30pm Sun 17 Feb 13

carer 123 says...

its not just the picking up of the dog poo its also the disposing of it properly as well. maybe more bins need to be put around the streets.especially on well known dog routes.. to and from town and to and from school reas to start with i have purple bags full of poo shoved into my hedge that you cant see until the hedge trimimer goes through it and splatters poo and purple bag everywhere. this is done on a regular basis. do you know how long it take to clean a headge trimmer after its been covered in dog poo?? :( . ive stopped and asked the old man i think is the culprit but he denies it was him even though he had a purple bag of poo in his hand ( i think me being there had actually stopped him from shoving it my hedge) he has been spotted in the high street not clearing up after his dog. within 20 ft of my hedge there is 10 children in 2 houses who play on the road and pavements by my hedge. god forbid if they get it covered on them.. between me and my neighbour last summer we pulled out over 15 bags of dog poo in both of our hedges.. if you have a dog you should be prepared to clean up and dispose of it properly..if you not..DONT HAVE A DOG !!!!
its not just the picking up of the dog poo its also the disposing of it properly as well. maybe more bins need to be put around the streets.especially on well known dog routes.. to and from town and to and from school reas to start with i have purple bags full of poo shoved into my hedge that you cant see until the hedge trimimer goes through it and splatters poo and purple bag everywhere. this is done on a regular basis. do you know how long it take to clean a headge trimmer after its been covered in dog poo?? :( . ive stopped and asked the old man i think is the culprit but he denies it was him even though he had a purple bag of poo in his hand ( i think me being there had actually stopped him from shoving it my hedge) he has been spotted in the high street not clearing up after his dog. within 20 ft of my hedge there is 10 children in 2 houses who play on the road and pavements by my hedge. god forbid if they get it covered on them.. between me and my neighbour last summer we pulled out over 15 bags of dog poo in both of our hedges.. if you have a dog you should be prepared to clean up and dispose of it properly..if you not..DONT HAVE A DOG !!!! carer 123
  • Score: 1

4:05pm Sun 17 Feb 13

beetawix says...

it seems common that the council provided bins are overflowing, either because of demand or because the council aint emptying them. When this happens many people think they have a right to just pile it on the ground. This develops into a centre of foulness which to my mind is worse than dogs taking a dump anywhere they want.
Many of the so called responsible dog owners that pass here seem to think it is ok for their dogs to urinate on folks' garden borders or hedges that are adjacent to the pavement.

.
it seems common that the council provided bins are overflowing, either because of demand or because the council aint emptying them. When this happens many people think they have a right to just pile it on the ground. This develops into a centre of foulness which to my mind is worse than dogs taking a dump anywhere they want. Many of the so called responsible dog owners that pass here seem to think it is ok for their dogs to urinate on folks' garden borders or hedges that are adjacent to the pavement. . beetawix
  • Score: 0

5:01pm Sun 17 Feb 13

notscot says...

"New campaign to rid Westbury of dog mess"
Oh really. So not only will dogs be banned from Westbury - the current dog population is to be removed, yes? Because that's the only way you can clear a town of dog mess.
Unfortunately a chunk of dog owners are pretty revolting creatures. They allow the dogs to crap all over the place and refuse to clean up after them. Or they make a pretence of cleaning up - then you see them toss the bag into a neighbors hedge!! Lovely.
"New campaign to rid Westbury of dog mess" Oh really. So not only will dogs be banned from Westbury - the current dog population is to be removed, yes? Because that's the only way you can clear a town of dog mess. Unfortunately a chunk of dog owners are pretty revolting creatures. They allow the dogs to crap all over the place and refuse to clean up after them. Or they make a pretence of cleaning up - then you see them toss the bag into a neighbors hedge!! Lovely. notscot
  • Score: 1

8:34pm Sun 17 Feb 13

cght36 says...

More dog bins are needed in Westbury I walked from the outskirts of town last year into town and ended up carry my bag of poo all the way home again to put it in the dog bin at the end of my road!!! Someone said you shouldve put it in someones bin, I wouldnt dream of doing that without asking, I wouldnt want anyone else poo in my bin especially if i didnt have a dog! I always make sure my dog doesnt wee on anyones garden either as I dont like it if someones dog does it on mine!! Remember though its not the dog its the owner at the end of the day not cleaning up.
More dog bins are needed in Westbury I walked from the outskirts of town last year into town and ended up carry my bag of poo all the way home again to put it in the dog bin at the end of my road!!! Someone said you shouldve put it in someones bin, I wouldnt dream of doing that without asking, I wouldnt want anyone else poo in my bin especially if i didnt have a dog! I always make sure my dog doesnt wee on anyones garden either as I dont like it if someones dog does it on mine!! Remember though its not the dog its the owner at the end of the day not cleaning up. cght36
  • Score: -1

12:02am Mon 18 Feb 13

Mrs Donnyfly says...

Doggy diapers is the answer...
Doggy diapers is the answer... Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

1:28am Mon 18 Feb 13

beetawix says...

Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure.
Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure.
These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.
Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure. Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure. These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats. beetawix
  • Score: -2

7:01am Mon 18 Feb 13

redrum says...

One of my greyhounds goes before a walk, however as dogs walk the bowel is stimulated by movement, she will go again maybe twice on a walk and i end up carrying them for ages before seeing a doggy bin. Enforcing this law is all very well but as you say are we going to have secret pooh watchers out with cameras and direct access to someone who can come and fine them, Recording them would be infringing on their human rights, the law is never on the innocents peoples side. Cats and their faeces are just as much of an issue in peoples gardens as they pass their load over all our flower beds but this we have no control over.
One of my greyhounds goes before a walk, however as dogs walk the bowel is stimulated by movement, she will go again maybe twice on a walk and i end up carrying them for ages before seeing a doggy bin. Enforcing this law is all very well but as you say are we going to have secret pooh watchers out with cameras and direct access to someone who can come and fine them, Recording them would be infringing on their human rights, the law is never on the innocents peoples side. Cats and their faeces are just as much of an issue in peoples gardens as they pass their load over all our flower beds but this we have no control over. redrum
  • Score: 0

10:43am Mon 18 Feb 13

notscot says...

redrum wrote:
One of my greyhounds goes before a walk, however as dogs walk the bowel is stimulated by movement, she will go again maybe twice on a walk and i end up carrying them for ages before seeing a doggy bin. Enforcing this law is all very well but as you say are we going to have secret pooh watchers out with cameras and direct access to someone who can come and fine them, Recording them would be infringing on their human rights, the law is never on the innocents peoples side. Cats and their faeces are just as much of an issue in peoples gardens as they pass their load over all our flower beds but this we have no control over.
Recording them would be against their human rights? No it wouldn't. If that were true you'd need a licence to buy and use photographic/recordi
ng equipment.
[quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: One of my greyhounds goes before a walk, however as dogs walk the bowel is stimulated by movement, she will go again maybe twice on a walk and i end up carrying them for ages before seeing a doggy bin. Enforcing this law is all very well but as you say are we going to have secret pooh watchers out with cameras and direct access to someone who can come and fine them, Recording them would be infringing on their human rights, the law is never on the innocents peoples side. Cats and their faeces are just as much of an issue in peoples gardens as they pass their load over all our flower beds but this we have no control over.[/p][/quote]Recording them would be against their human rights? No it wouldn't. If that were true you'd need a licence to buy and use photographic/recordi ng equipment. notscot
  • Score: 0

5:08pm Mon 18 Feb 13

old 'arry says...

I always think dog-pooh is the best thing about Westbury
I always think dog-pooh is the best thing about Westbury old 'arry
  • Score: 2

8:15pm Mon 18 Feb 13

Mrs Donnyfly says...

There's been a lot of sh1t talked on this thread.
There's been a lot of sh1t talked on this thread. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 1

6:37pm Wed 20 Feb 13

frankie007 says...

beetawix wrote:
Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure.
Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure.
These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.
Please can we do cats first?
[quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure. Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure. These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.[/p][/quote]Please can we do cats first? frankie007
  • Score: 1

9:03pm Wed 20 Feb 13

notscot says...

frankie007 wrote:
beetawix wrote:
Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure.
Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure.
These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.
Please can we do cats first?
Anyone for chavs first?
[quote][p][bold]frankie007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure. Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure. These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.[/p][/quote]Please can we do cats first?[/p][/quote]Anyone for chavs first? notscot
  • Score: 0

10:02pm Wed 20 Feb 13

frankie007 says...

notscot wrote:
frankie007 wrote:
beetawix wrote:
Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure.
Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure.
These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.
Please can we do cats first?
Anyone for chavs first?
Chavs don't crap all over your garden or fish in your pond.
[quote][p][bold]notscot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]frankie007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure. Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure. These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.[/p][/quote]Please can we do cats first?[/p][/quote]Anyone for chavs first?[/p][/quote]Chavs don't crap all over your garden or fish in your pond. frankie007
  • Score: 0

11:34pm Wed 20 Feb 13

Mrs Donnyfly says...

frankie007 wrote:
notscot wrote:
frankie007 wrote:
beetawix wrote:
Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure.
Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure.
These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.
Please can we do cats first?
Anyone for chavs first?
Chavs don't crap all over your garden or fish in your pond.
I obviously can't speak about what or who has crapped all over notscot's garden but if I had a pond and I caught cats fishing it I would be thrilled. The media would be biting my hand off for an opportunity to film cats sitting around a pond fishing.
[quote][p][bold]frankie007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notscot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]frankie007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure. Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure. These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.[/p][/quote]Please can we do cats first?[/p][/quote]Anyone for chavs first?[/p][/quote]Chavs don't crap all over your garden or fish in your pond.[/p][/quote]I obviously can't speak about what or who has crapped all over notscot's garden but if I had a pond and I caught cats fishing it I would be thrilled. The media would be biting my hand off for an opportunity to film cats sitting around a pond fishing. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

6:38am Thu 21 Feb 13

notscot says...

Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
frankie007 wrote:
notscot wrote:
frankie007 wrote:
beetawix wrote:
Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure.
Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure.
These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.
Please can we do cats first?
Anyone for chavs first?
Chavs don't crap all over your garden or fish in your pond.
I obviously can't speak about what or who has crapped all over notscot's garden but if I had a pond and I caught cats fishing it I would be thrilled. The media would be biting my hand off for an opportunity to film cats sitting around a pond fishing.
Far rather see a few chavs sitting around your pond fishing. Perhaps they could have a few cats attached as bait, dangling forever above the fish they've previously decimated!
The fewer chavs that are available to tick off their neighbourhoods, the better.
[quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]frankie007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notscot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]frankie007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: Is there any reason why dog owners could not leave dog in their own garden until it has performed an evacuation there, before taking it for a walk. This would benefit all parties by reducing the need for further evacuation. The dog should get used to this procedure. Another option could be to enforce vegetarianism on dogs. Tinned dog meat could be banned. This should lead to a more user-friendly disposal as per horse manure. These suggestions are not perfect and fall short of the abolishment of unnecessary dogs, by far the best option. Then we could get started on cats.[/p][/quote]Please can we do cats first?[/p][/quote]Anyone for chavs first?[/p][/quote]Chavs don't crap all over your garden or fish in your pond.[/p][/quote]I obviously can't speak about what or who has crapped all over notscot's garden but if I had a pond and I caught cats fishing it I would be thrilled. The media would be biting my hand off for an opportunity to film cats sitting around a pond fishing.[/p][/quote]Far rather see a few chavs sitting around your pond fishing. Perhaps they could have a few cats attached as bait, dangling forever above the fish they've previously decimated! The fewer chavs that are available to tick off their neighbourhoods, the better. notscot
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree