Wiltshire Council's £27 million cuts will protect services says leader

This Is Wiltshire: Jane Scott: "Year on year it will become more difficult and I don’t think we have got to the worst bit yet." Jane Scott: "Year on year it will become more difficult and I don’t think we have got to the worst bit yet."

Wiltshire Council leader Jane Scott said the council’s proposed budget for next year will protect front line services despite making cuts of £27 million.

The council has received a cut in funding from central Government by £9.8 million for 2013/14 or three per cent.

The amount of savings the Tory run council proposes to make is £27.6 million. The council made savings of £32 million this current financial year and £33 million the year before as part of the cuts to public spending by the Government.

In 2013/14 the council is proposing to cut 200 jobs, although said some of the affected posts were vacant while others were filled by agency staff.

Since it became a unitary council in 2009 it has cut 614 posts, including the chief executive and two corporate director posts.

The savings of £27 million include £4.5 million in buying services such as changing the highway contract and £10.3 million in efficiencies across services.

Coun Scott said moving from five councils in Wiltshire to one meant it had better buying power and was the reason why it was managing to make savings in back office functions. She also said having one council for Wiltshire had resulted in a freezing of the Council Tax, which is also proposed for 2013/14.

The year after next the council is predicting making savings of £22.5 million and Coun Scott admitted it was getting harder to reduce costs in the back office.

She said: “Year on year it will become more difficult and I don’t think we have got to the worst bit yet. Public services will be hit in the new spending review so we have got to plan for that. I think I’m confident for the next couple of years that we can manage it. “

She said the council would have to increase working with other organisations such as the police and the new Clinical Commissioning Group to save money across public services. She also said the council would be encouraging more people to volunteer to assist services such as good neighbour schemes and maintaining public rights of way.

The council’s reserves are predicted to be £12.5 million at the end of March after using £1.7 million this year for looking after children in care.

Coun Scott defended the level of money “We are not a fat cat authority, £12 million is not a lot to fall back on. The reserves are there to cover risk and we very rarely have to dip into reserves,” she said.

Some fees and charges for service will rise by 2.6 per cent while the average rent increase for council housing tenants will be £2.92 per week or 3.4 per cent.

The Cabinet’s proposed budget will be decided on at a full meeting of Wiltshire Council on Tuesday at the Civic Centre, Trowbridge at 10.30am.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:21pm Tue 19 Feb 13

Arnold9 says...

Reducing the number of agency staff would help save money and avoid cuts to public services.

From what I hear the council has hundreds of overpaid contractors and consultants - many of whom have been on site for years.

An age old tactic of making the picture look better to the outside world as the considerable expense does not always appear as headcount or staffing costs.
Reducing the number of agency staff would help save money and avoid cuts to public services. From what I hear the council has hundreds of overpaid contractors and consultants - many of whom have been on site for years. An age old tactic of making the picture look better to the outside world as the considerable expense does not always appear as headcount or staffing costs. Arnold9

1:42am Wed 20 Feb 13

toryexitpole says...

apt-get --purge remove cerise-dress
apt-get --purge remove extra-chins
apt-get install extra-clothing
apt-get install conscience
apt-get --purge remove cerise-dress apt-get --purge remove extra-chins apt-get install extra-clothing apt-get install conscience toryexitpole

8:19pm Wed 20 Feb 13

jezercalne says...

I don't know what the last post was about, but surely council spending is still far too high? How about suspending payments and expenses to councillors until they manage to peg costs to a level acceptable to taxpayers?
I don't know what the last post was about, but surely council spending is still far too high? How about suspending payments and expenses to councillors until they manage to peg costs to a level acceptable to taxpayers? jezercalne

9:57pm Wed 20 Feb 13

beetawix says...

Re : I don't know what the last post was about.

I think he was making impolite comments about the council leader couched in inappropriate linux commands.
Re : I don't know what the last post was about. I think he was making impolite comments about the council leader couched in inappropriate linux commands. beetawix

11:12pm Wed 20 Feb 13

jezercalne says...

I'm still none the wiser.
I'm still none the wiser. jezercalne

11:36pm Wed 20 Feb 13

jezercalne says...

Linux command, whats that? I've never heard of it. I can't imagine it contravenes the principle of councillors being held accountable for their actions. I stand by my earlier post, that councillors and MPs should be volunteers, nothing more.
Linux command, whats that? I've never heard of it. I can't imagine it contravenes the principle of councillors being held accountable for their actions. I stand by my earlier post, that councillors and MPs should be volunteers, nothing more. jezercalne

12:14am Thu 21 Feb 13

beetawix says...

unelected or elected volunteers?
unelected or elected volunteers? beetawix

1:15pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Aran Oatan says...

Jesercalne : Councillors and MPs are volunteers. No one forces them to stand. If you mean unpaid, then that will mean that only people with time and money to spare could fill the role. Which will mean that what we will get is a mixture of overpriviliged inbred landowners, small business people who are looking for opportunites to line their pockets and the non working partners of the rich. None of whom will have hte faintest idea what it is like for ordinary working people. Which .... is..,.more..or less..what we've got. OK - you were right - apologies.
Jesercalne : Councillors and MPs are volunteers. No one forces them to stand. If you mean unpaid, then that will mean that only people with time and money to spare could fill the role. Which will mean that what we will get is a mixture of overpriviliged inbred landowners, small business people who are looking for opportunites to line their pockets and the non working partners of the rich. None of whom will have hte faintest idea what it is like for ordinary working people. Which .... is..,.more..or less..what we've got. OK - you were right - apologies. Aran Oatan

5:08pm Thu 21 Feb 13

toryexitpole says...

beetawix wrote:
Re : I don't know what the last post was about.

I think he was making impolite comments about the council leader couched in inappropriate linux commands.
Inappropriate Linux commands?

Your Google search for apt-get has clearly left you wanting.
[quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: Re : I don't know what the last post was about. I think he was making impolite comments about the council leader couched in inappropriate linux commands.[/p][/quote]Inappropriate Linux commands? Your Google search for apt-get has clearly left you wanting. toryexitpole

6:31pm Thu 21 Feb 13

beetawix says...

incorrect yes but not wanting.
at least certainly not as wanting as your manners regarding comments about the council leader which seems to concern you less than my attempt at interpreting your obfuscating geeklike presentation.
incorrect yes but not wanting. at least certainly not as wanting as your manners regarding comments about the council leader which seems to concern you less than my attempt at interpreting your obfuscating geeklike presentation. beetawix

3:38am Fri 22 Feb 13

toryexitpole says...

beetawix wrote:
incorrect yes but not wanting.
at least certainly not as wanting as your manners regarding comments about the council leader which seems to concern you less than my attempt at interpreting your obfuscating geeklike presentation.
A+ for car crash grammar and syntax.

I didn't mention 'incorrect'. I - or rather you - said inappropriate. There would be no commands that would be more appropriate if Jane Scott is indeed a robot running on a Debian based OS.

You've proved that your limited search left you wanting by admitting you were incorrect. You may need to reread our exchange to see what I mean.

I owe Jane Scott nothing and she has done nothing to warrant my respect or the application of manners. My comments do not concern me in the slightest. She hasn't even earned the respect of her employees let alone us public. Notice how she hangs on in there while those around her lose their posts; notice how the buck never gets as far as her office door? She is like a limpet with an impenetrable shell, clamped onto the side of a ship that has ran aground and is taking on water. The ship may sink but the limpet lives on.

Under her watch Child/Adult social services have gone to pot. Mental Health services have gone to pot. Trowbridge itself has gone to pot.

Has it not occurred to you that my comment was deliberately obtuse?

You can vote Tory all you want. You can blindly adore hateful public figures as much as you want. But don't expect everyone else to follow suit because some of us have a modicum of intelligence.

Here is my comment in layman terms:

Get rid of that cerise. It is an unflattering colour for a hoary older woman (note the difference between 'hoary' and 'whorey').

She has more than one chin. Fact.

You are a twunt. Fact.
[quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: incorrect yes but not wanting. at least certainly not as wanting as your manners regarding comments about the council leader which seems to concern you less than my attempt at interpreting your obfuscating geeklike presentation.[/p][/quote]A+ for car crash grammar and syntax. I didn't mention 'incorrect'. I - or rather you - said inappropriate. There would be no commands that would be more appropriate if Jane Scott is indeed a robot running on a Debian based OS. You've proved that your limited search left you wanting by admitting you were incorrect. You may need to reread our exchange to see what I mean. I owe Jane Scott nothing and she has done nothing to warrant my respect or the application of manners. My comments do not concern me in the slightest. She hasn't even earned the respect of her employees let alone us public. Notice how she hangs on in there while those around her lose their posts; notice how the buck never gets as far as her office door? She is like a limpet with an impenetrable shell, clamped onto the side of a ship that has ran aground and is taking on water. The ship may sink but the limpet lives on. Under her watch Child/Adult social services have gone to pot. Mental Health services have gone to pot. Trowbridge itself has gone to pot. Has it not occurred to you that my comment was deliberately obtuse? You can vote Tory all you want. You can blindly adore hateful public figures as much as you want. But don't expect everyone else to follow suit because some of us have a modicum of intelligence. Here is my comment in layman terms: Get rid of that cerise. It is an unflattering colour for a hoary older woman (note the difference between 'hoary' and 'whorey'). She has more than one chin. Fact. You are a twunt. Fact. toryexitpole

7:08am Fri 22 Feb 13

notscot says...

toryexitpole wrote:
beetawix wrote:
incorrect yes but not wanting.
at least certainly not as wanting as your manners regarding comments about the council leader which seems to concern you less than my attempt at interpreting your obfuscating geeklike presentation.
A+ for car crash grammar and syntax.

I didn't mention 'incorrect'. I - or rather you - said inappropriate. There would be no commands that would be more appropriate if Jane Scott is indeed a robot running on a Debian based OS.

You've proved that your limited search left you wanting by admitting you were incorrect. You may need to reread our exchange to see what I mean.

I owe Jane Scott nothing and she has done nothing to warrant my respect or the application of manners. My comments do not concern me in the slightest. She hasn't even earned the respect of her employees let alone us public. Notice how she hangs on in there while those around her lose their posts; notice how the buck never gets as far as her office door? She is like a limpet with an impenetrable shell, clamped onto the side of a ship that has ran aground and is taking on water. The ship may sink but the limpet lives on.

Under her watch Child/Adult social services have gone to pot. Mental Health services have gone to pot. Trowbridge itself has gone to pot.

Has it not occurred to you that my comment was deliberately obtuse?

You can vote Tory all you want. You can blindly adore hateful public figures as much as you want. But don't expect everyone else to follow suit because some of us have a modicum of intelligence.

Here is my comment in layman terms:

Get rid of that cerise. It is an unflattering colour for a hoary older woman (note the difference between 'hoary' and 'whorey').

She has more than one chin. Fact.

You are a twunt. Fact.
And you are a bore.
[quote][p][bold]toryexitpole[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: incorrect yes but not wanting. at least certainly not as wanting as your manners regarding comments about the council leader which seems to concern you less than my attempt at interpreting your obfuscating geeklike presentation.[/p][/quote]A+ for car crash grammar and syntax. I didn't mention 'incorrect'. I - or rather you - said inappropriate. There would be no commands that would be more appropriate if Jane Scott is indeed a robot running on a Debian based OS. You've proved that your limited search left you wanting by admitting you were incorrect. You may need to reread our exchange to see what I mean. I owe Jane Scott nothing and she has done nothing to warrant my respect or the application of manners. My comments do not concern me in the slightest. She hasn't even earned the respect of her employees let alone us public. Notice how she hangs on in there while those around her lose their posts; notice how the buck never gets as far as her office door? She is like a limpet with an impenetrable shell, clamped onto the side of a ship that has ran aground and is taking on water. The ship may sink but the limpet lives on. Under her watch Child/Adult social services have gone to pot. Mental Health services have gone to pot. Trowbridge itself has gone to pot. Has it not occurred to you that my comment was deliberately obtuse? You can vote Tory all you want. You can blindly adore hateful public figures as much as you want. But don't expect everyone else to follow suit because some of us have a modicum of intelligence. Here is my comment in layman terms: Get rid of that cerise. It is an unflattering colour for a hoary older woman (note the difference between 'hoary' and 'whorey'). She has more than one chin. Fact. You are a twunt. Fact.[/p][/quote]And you are a bore. notscot

9:20am Fri 22 Feb 13

beetawix says...

toryexitpole, A modicum seems to about right.
I won't be voting Tory and I do not vote Tory nor do I adore public figures.
toryexitpole, A modicum seems to about right. I won't be voting Tory and I do not vote Tory nor do I adore public figures. beetawix

11:55am Fri 22 Feb 13

lordbuckethead says...

I say toryexitpole for mayor. I'd vote for you!
I say toryexitpole for mayor. I'd vote for you! lordbuckethead

7:54am Sat 23 Feb 13

trowboy says...

the bully gets bulllied... and appears not to like it.
the bully gets bulllied... and appears not to like it. trowboy

7:53pm Sat 23 Feb 13

parrished says...

trowboy wrote:
the bully gets bulllied... and appears not to like it.
You lot misunderstand the whole troll thing. You feed the troll and successful troll is successful. Stop feeding the trolls!!!
[quote][p][bold]trowboy[/bold] wrote: the bully gets bulllied... and appears not to like it.[/p][/quote]You lot misunderstand the whole troll thing. You feed the troll and successful troll is successful. Stop feeding the trolls!!! parrished

9:00pm Sat 23 Feb 13

notscot says...

parrished wrote:
trowboy wrote:
the bully gets bulllied... and appears not to like it.
You lot misunderstand the whole troll thing. You feed the troll and successful troll is successful. Stop feeding the trolls!!!
Misunderstand?
Or is it that some just don't give
a flying fig?
[quote][p][bold]parrished[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]trowboy[/bold] wrote: the bully gets bulllied... and appears not to like it.[/p][/quote]You lot misunderstand the whole troll thing. You feed the troll and successful troll is successful. Stop feeding the trolls!!![/p][/quote]Misunderstand? Or is it that some just don't give a flying fig? notscot

11:24pm Sat 23 Feb 13

parrished says...

No. They misunderstand.

On forums where people do understand you get far less trolls.
No. They misunderstand. On forums where people do understand you get far less trolls. parrished

1:34am Sun 24 Feb 13

beetawix says...

so called Trolls are not a problem while self appointed experts who refer to those other than themselves as 'you lot' and profess to know what is understood by them are a little more irritating
so called Trolls are not a problem while self appointed experts who refer to those other than themselves as 'you lot' and profess to know what is understood by them are a little more irritating beetawix

8:03am Sun 24 Feb 13

notscot says...

parrished wrote:
No. They misunderstand.

On forums where people do understand you get far less trolls.
Pompous numpty.
Perhaps you'd be more at home with youtube.
If you're unhappy with the responses you see - feel free to read something else, you're not obliged to read or comment on what is posted.
And "us lot" (?!?) will continue to grumble, agree and fall out to our hearts content.
Except me, of course. I'm as perfect as you.....
[quote][p][bold]parrished[/bold] wrote: No. They misunderstand. On forums where people do understand you get far less trolls.[/p][/quote]Pompous numpty. Perhaps you'd be more at home with youtube. If you're unhappy with the responses you see - feel free to read something else, you're not obliged to read or comment on what is posted. And "us lot" (?!?) will continue to grumble, agree and fall out to our hearts content. Except me, of course. I'm as perfect as you..... notscot

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree