Fans welcome new boss at Swindon Town
10:00am Saturday 2nd March 2013 in Latest News
TOWN fans broadly backed the new Robins’ board’s appointment of Kevin MacDonald, as he was officially unveiled at the County Ground.
Former Aston Villa coach MacDonald was handed the unenviable task of filling fans’ favourite Paolo Di Canio’s shoes following the Italian’s exit last month and, while the 52-year-old Scot might not be a household name, fans have welcomed his experience.
There were reports the footballer-turned-TV and radio personality Ian Wright was approached to take the reins, but he admitted he was not yet ready to uproot his family and take the hot-seat.
The announcement marks a new chapter in the club’s recent tumultuous history.
A change of ownership saw former majority shareholder Andrew Black sell up to a consortium headed by Jed McCrory, then Town’s star player, Matt Ritchie, was sold to Bournemouth in a deal to rescue the club from insolvency.
Nigel Bennett, of the Swindon Town Supporters’ club, said: “I am sure many fans will regard this as a solid appointment, in contrast to the high-profile manager that we had before.
“Clearly, from his time spent at Aston Villa, Kevin MacDonald is a very loyal individual and Villa fans would seem to speak very highly of him.
“There is also an inference that one of his strengths is developing youth players, which is something the Swindon Town Supporters’ Club have been very happy to help finance over many years.
“While first team results are the prime concern of many supporters, many also recognise the need to develop home-grown players.”
Shortly after the news conference yesterday, Town fans in the Merlin pub, in Drove, Road, had mixed opinions on the decision.
Gary Hill, 39, of the town centre said: “I think it is a good appointment, it may not be one of the big names people were talking about, but we have to be realistic about who we can get here.
“It is now time to move on from the Di Canio fairground and focus on securing our league position and making it as tough as we can for the teams around us.
“I think there will be a change to the way the football is played and it could become a lot more defence based.”
However, Simon Porter, 53, of Walcot, was not so impressed by the move and thought the club could have been more ambitious with who they targeted.
“I would not say I am happy, I don’t know too much about the bloke so I will hold my judgment on him for now,” he said.
“I think the club could be going back in the wrong direction – in the last few years we have leapt forward and been ambitious, but this sounds like a safe option.
“All I hope is that our form doesn’t suffer and we can be around in the play-off places at the end of the season.”