Injured workman taken to Swansea hospital for treatment
3:17pm Wednesday 20th March 2013 in Latest News
The workman electrocuted this morning on the building site of Trowbridge Rugby Club’s new ground has been airlifted to a hospital in Swansea for further treatment.
It is believed, the 37-year-old man, from Cold Ashton, in Bristol, went into cardiac arrest when the crane he was standing near made contact with live electricity cables at the grounds, in Devizes Road, at 9am.
Medical staff resuscitated the man at the scene, using a defibrillator and he was given drug therapy to restore his heart rhythm, before he was taken by Wiltshire Air Ambulance to Royal United Hospital, Bath arriving at 9.30am.
Following treatment at RUH he has now been taken to Morriston Hospital for further care.
Richard Miller, paramedic on Wiltshire Air Ambulance, said: "He's taken a turn for the worse and we took him to Morriston Hospital for further care. His injuries are looking bad than originally thought but we are optimistic.
"We would like to praise everyone on site this morning, from his workmates, medical staff and police who have given him the best chance possible."
It is thought around 11,000 volts of electricity went through the man in the incident.