Melksham assault charge dropped
A man accused of carrying out an assault in Melksham town centre has had the charge against him dropped.
Paul Burgess was accused of grievous bodily harm in relation to an alleged incident on Monday December 17.
Witnesses said they saw the 32-year-old land a single blow in the incident, which the defendant said was thrown in self-defence.
But prosecutors decided not to proceed against him as the man he was said to have assaulted did not wish to proceed with the matter.
Tessa Hingston, prosecuting, told Swindon crown court "There had always been a reluctant victim: he refused to make any sort of complaint since he was in hospital.
"The case was charged on the basis of a relatively independent witness who could give evidence.
"However there is a question mark over causation and the non-complainant refused to allow medical records to be accessed."
Because had not entered a plea a judge could not enter a formal not guilty verdict so instead the case was discontinued.
Burgess, of Church Street, Melksham, had been on bail since his arrest and was not in court to hear the ruling.