BOXING: Blackwell’s in limbo over title eliminator
12:00pm Friday 26th April 2013 in By Dan Barnes
NICK Blackwell’s promoter PJ Rowson admits that a British middleweight title eliminator against Prince Arron isn’t looking likely to come to fruition.
Trowbridge’s two-time British title challenger Blackwell, 22, was given the green light for a clash with the former Prizefighter champion by the British Boxing Board of Control in March.
The contest was set to take place by the end of June, but Rowson understands that Arron’s camp aren’t interested in taking the fight.
“I’ve spoken to Prince Arron’s managers and his trainers to offer a contest and they didn’t think that they were ready for it yet,” he said.
“Obviously, it’s something that we’d like to put together for the future, so we’ll wait and see if they come back to us again.”
Blackwell challenged Martin Murray in June 2011 and Billy Joe Saunders in December last year for the British belt.
The Contender Gym fighter is set to box in a six-round contest in Swindon on June 15 and thinks that Arron shouldn’t shy away from stepping in to the ring with him.
“I don’t know if the rumours are true but I’ve heard he said that he didn’t have enough time for the fight,” said Blackwell.
“If you’re a professional boxer, you should be keeping yourself in good shape anyway and 10 weeks should be more than enough time to get ready.
“If he’s backing down from fights then he’s in the wrong sport – you should fight whoever’s put in front of you.”
Blackwell has also been back sparring with top British star Carl Froch in recent weeks and says that his confidence has been given a big boost during practice with the IBF super-middleweight champion.
“I’m sparring with him quite regularly now. He’s tough, he hits hard and he’s got good experience, so I’m learning from him,” said the Trowbridge fighter.
“But he’s also said that it’s been a good workout for him and we’re both learning from sparring with each other.
“You can’t get much better sparring than that for me, so the more I do, the better. It’s a good confidence boost for me.”
FOR MORE SPORTS NEWS, REPORTS & PICTURES SEE FRIDAY'S WILTSHIRE TIMES AND FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @WTSport
Comments are closed on this article.