ATHLETICS: Talbot's campaign ends early
2:00pm Friday 30th August 2013 in Latest News
DANNY Talbot has pulled out of the Amsterdam International meeting on Friday night and called time on his season, writes Kevin Fahey.
The Trowbridge Tornado had intended to make his debut over 400m in Holland but, following a recent illness, Talbot and coach Dan Cossins scrapped that plan.
“I had a virus since my last race in Ghent and initially trained through it which made it worse,” said Talbot.
“Last week I pulled out of a 400m at Watford and then afterwards saw the doctor, who told me to take off a week and rest. That means now I haven’t trained properly for a month and we both thought it wasn’t worth racing and risking an injury at the end of the season.
“So I am now ending my season and having a complete break.”
The low-key end to the summer reflects a frustrating second half of the campaign for 2012 Olympic relay runner and European 200m bronze medallist, who was controversially left out of the British team for the World Championships in Moscow.
“Up until and including the European Under 23 Championships (in Finland) the season went very well,” said Talbot.
“But the day after the championships ended and the team for Moscow was announced my season became very frustrating. At the start of the season I had three aims; firstly to get to the European Under 23s, second qualify for the Worlds and thirdly not to get injured.
“Well I didn’t get injured and the Europeans went well (he won a silver in the 200m and gold in the 4x100m relay) but my main target didn’t go well for me and that was very frustrating as I still feel I did everything I had to do to get selected.”
Instead Delano Williams was picked ahead of Talbot and was subsequently knocked out after a lacklustre run in the semi-finals.
“My whole season was geared towards reaching a peak in Moscow and I felt I would have been in shape to run a PB,” said Talbot.
“But it has given me more motivation and more fire in the belly to make sure I do even better next year. This season hasn’t gone as well as I wanted but it is now time to move on.”
MORE SPORTS NEWS AND REACTION IN THIS FRIDAY’S WILTSHIRE TIMES. FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @WTSport