Jury fail to reach a verdict in child sex abuse
12:40pm Friday 30th August 2013 in Latest News
A JUDGE has dismissed the jury in the case of a teenager accused of sexually abusing a girl when she was nine or 10 years old after they failed to reach verdicts.
Now prosecutors have asked for seven days to consult with the complainant to see if they want Harry Webb to stand trial for a second time.
The 18-year-old was said to have carried out the sex attacks on the girl, a family friend, in her own bedroom when he visited their home in the summer of 2008 or 2009.
The girl, now aged 14, sobbed as she told how he pinned her down and touched her and then tried to get her to perform a sex act on him.
Webb, of Magdelen Road, Wanborough, denied any wrongdoing saying she had made up the story.
The teenager, who works part time at Meca and Redlands airfield, pleaded not guilty to attempted rape and not guilty two charges of sexual assault on the child under 13.
Following a two day trial, the jury of eight men and four women had been out for five hours before announcing they were deadlocked.
They had been told they could return verdicts upon which just 10 of them were agreed, but still said they would not be able to do that.
Judge Douglas Field discharged them and gave the Crown a week to decide whether they would like a trial before a fresh jury and released Webb on bail.