Corsham cemetery plans are scuppered
5:00pm Saturday 14th September 2013 in Latest News
CORSHAM Town Council has abandoned plans to extend Ladbrook Lane Cemetery after spending £18,000 on the proposal over the past seven years.
On Monday the council voted to end negotiations over the land previously identified for the new cemetery, following legal advice.
The Ladbrook Lane cemetery was identified as running out of space in 2006, when it was judged to have capacity for another 15 years.
The council, which owns and operates the cemetery, had invested in legal fees and architects’ plans over the years but has now been advised against the plan.
Corsham town clerk David Martin said: “I can’t disclose the details of our legal advice, but there wasn’t an agreement that we were in a position to sign up to, as the risks to the council funds were too great.
“There are things we will have to look at, like people putting benches in the cemetery to take up space and exclusive rights of burial. We are looking at ways to increase the amount of time the cemetery says open.
“We estimate there are at least ten years of the current arrangement, and we may well be able to extend that.
“We are still looking for another site though, so we are still open if any landowners want to get in touch.”
Speaking at the meeting councillor Jock Fraser said: “We have to take the legal advice on board, but it is very disappointing that after seven or eight years we have to do this.”
Comments are closed on this article.