Wiltshire Fire and Rescue back Gas Safety week
5:10pm Tuesday 17th September 2013 in Latest News
WILTSHIRE Fire & Rescue Service has pledged its support for Gas Safety Week (September 16-22), an event which sees the whole industry coming together to bring gas safety issues to the forefront of people’s minds.
Dangerous gas work can kill - badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. In the last year across the UK, 333 people were injured and four people died as a result of gas related incidents.
Watch Manager Neil Chamberlain, from the community safety department, said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. By supporting Gas Safety Week, we can let local people know about the simple checks they can make to stay safe.”
Follow these top tips to be gas safe at home:
• Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants should make sure their landlord arranges this.
• Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
• Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
• Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly, such as lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, and too much condensation in the room.
• Check you know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
• Check you have an audible carbon monoxide alarm as well as a working smoke alarm.
For more information or to find Gas Safe registered engineer visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
For home fire safety advice, visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk or call 0800 389 7849 to see if you qualify for a free home fire safety check.