Arrest warrant issued for man who tried to rob teenager
7:40am Wednesday 9th October 2013 in Latest News
A JUDGE has issued a warrant for the arrest of a man who is said to have failed to comply with a suspended sentence for trying to rob a 14-year-old girl.
Ben Reid was even given another chance in June when a judge decided not to activate the sentence after he breached the conditions of the order.
But the 24-year-old is said to have failed again and the probation say he is no longer living at the address he gave them.
And his solicitor, Mike Pulsford, said a colleague had spoken to his client and it is believed he has left the area.
Judge Douglas Field issued a warrant without bail for his arrest and to get him before the court.
Reid, of Church View, Highworth, was put on a suspended sentence in November last year after a jury found him and a friend guilty of carrying out the attack.
He and the 21-year-old pal both pleaded not guilty to carrying out the offence in darkness in west Swindon, but following a trial they were found guilty of attempted robbery.
The child was at a bus stop in Grange Park Way on Wednesday February 22 last year when the pair, drunk on stolen booze, approached and tried to take her bag.
But the teenager resisted, and managed to get away without anything being stolen from her.
Reid was sentenced to a nine month jail term, suspended for a year, and told to do 120 hours of unpaid work.
In June a judge ordered he must attend five days of education training and employment training with the probation service after he breached the initial order.