Teenager not guilty of sex assault
9:56am Wednesday 9th October 2013 in Latest News
A TEENAGER who was accused of sexually abusing a girl when she was nine or 10-years-old will not have to stand trial for a second time.
The jury failed to reach verdicts on allegations that Harry Webb pinned the child down on her bed and indecently touched her when he visited her family's home.
Now, after consulting the child and her family, prosecutors have told a judge they will not be seeking a retrial.
And as a result of that decision Claire Marlow, for the Crown, formally offered no evidence and Judge Douglas Field recorded formal not guilty verdicts.
Webb, 18, had been accused of carrying out the sex attacks on the girl in her own bedroom when he visited their home in the summer of 2008 or 2009.
At a trial in July the girl, who is now aged 14, sobbed as she told how he held her down and touched her and then tried to get her to perform a sex act on him.
Webb, of Magdelen Road, Wanborough, denied any wrongdoing saying she had made up the story.
The defendant, who works part time at Meca and Redlands airfield, pleaded not guilty to attempted rape and two charges of sexual assault on a child under 13.
Following a two day trial, the jury of eight men and four women had been considering their verdicts for five hours before announcing they were deadlocked.
They had been told they could return verdicts upon which just ten of them were agreed, but still said they would not be able to do that.