Roofer died after cocktail of drugs
FORMER roofer Sean Lennon turned to drugs to ease the pain of injuries sustained in a car park fall and died of a deadly cocktail on New Year’s Day, four years after his accident, an inquest heard yesterday.
The hearing, in Salisbury, was told Sean, 29, of Dryden Street, Swindon, had worked as a roofer since leaving school at the age of 16, but was forced out of his job after falling from the car park in 2009.
He had tried to return to work but was in too much pain from the fractures as a result of the incident, and was put on courses of methadone by doctors to ease the pain.
But prescribed drugs were not enough for Sean, and he began using heroin, crack cocaine and excessive alcohol to top up his prescriptions, in a lethal mix which would see him fall asleep one day and never wake up.
Anna Walters, of the Inclusive Treatment Services, told the inquest how Sean had begun treatment for drug and alcohol abuse in November 2011. “His doctor advised him of the dangers of mixing drugs and that he was putting his life at risk,” she said.
A letter from Dr Gould to Joanne Douglas, Sean’s GP, stated how he had been found to be using heroin and taking crack cocaine five out of every six days. Sean had been taking diazepam thinking it was Valium, and the toxic mix of depressants finally caught up with him.
During 2012 Sean had been engaging well with the drug rehabilitation team and had shown positive signs of improvement. He understood the potential for relapse, but refused to stop drinking alcohol.
His mum Ann told the inquest he had been well behaved and studied hard in school. But when she and his father Seamus separated he took it hard.
“When he fell from the car park he had internal injuries and skeletal fractures,” she said. “Police called it attempted suicide, but I believe other people were involved. He would never do something like that. “He was in hospital for four months, and wanted to go back to work but in 2010 he only lasted one hour before he had to stop due to the pain.
“He was well liked and fun loving. He always kept a brave face.”
A statement from Sean’s father described how Sean had returned to the family home at 6pm on December 31 last year heavily intoxicated. He could hardly hold a conversation. He fell asleep and started snoring. But the snoring stopped at about 11pm. By 1am Seamus noticed Sean was slumped on his side. He could not see him breathing when he tried to lift him.
Knowing something was wrong Seamus attempted CPR.
At 1.20am on New Years Day emergency services were called and pronounced Sean dead at the scene.
Assistant coroner for Wiltshire and Swindon, David Coward, recorded the cause of death as accidental.