Don’t forget safety rules and to look after children and pets
2:00pm Thursday 31st October 2013 in Latest News
Bonfire Night is meant to be fun for everyone, but there are a few simple things to remember if you want to make sure all the family have a great time this year.
Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service is advising residents to take heed of safety advice.
Make sure small children understand what Bonfire Night is about.
Explain that the Guy Fawkes they might see on a bonfire is a stuffed dummy, not a person, and that they understand that before they see the pretty lights in the sky, there will be a loud bang, to stop them being scared by sudden explosions.
Some children find it more fun to watch sitting on a parent’s shoulders, or in their arms, as in a large crowd they can get scared by too many people and the sudden noises.
If you take older children to a display and large bonfire, make sure they stay close to you and keep well away from the fire.
Before you go out to light your own fireworks in the garden, or to an organised display, make sure you have left your pets inside and comfortable.
Putting the TV or radio on low can be a good way to help them cope with the noise: if your pet gets very scared at fireworks time, you can get herbal remedies or tablets from the vet.
While most people treat fireworks with respect, a small minority treat them as toys and forget that they are actually explosives.
To stay safe this Bonfire Night, remember the Fireworks Code:
- Keep fireworks in a closed metal box (an old biscuit tin is perfect) and take them out one at a time.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on each firework. Read them by torchlight – NEVER use a match..
- Light fireworks at arm’s length using a safety firework lighter or fuse wick.
- Stand back after lighting.
- NEVER go back to a firework once lit – it may go off in your face.
- Keep a bucket of water handy.
- Used fireworks should be collected after the display with care. Douse with water, bury or place in a metal container.
- Keep children under control.
- If you light a bonfire make sure it is well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs, and ALWAYS away from fireworks.
- Before lighting the fire, check that no pets or children are hiding inside it.
- Never use paraffin or petrol to light the fire.
For further safety advice, visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk
Comments are closed on this article.