BOXING: 'Rubbish' victory came after weigh-in struggle
FRUSTRATED Nick Blackwell admits that he could not make the statement he wanted to in his ‘rubbish’ victory over Max Maxwell at the weekend.
‘Bang Bang’ Blackwell, who turned 23 on Sunday, claimed his 14th professional victory as he cruised to comfortable 80-72 points victory at the Trowbridge Civic Centre.
But the Contender Gym fighter says that he was nowhere near his best after only making the required weight hours before the fight.
Blackwell, who has twice challenged for the British middleweight belt and suffered a controversial WBA continental middleweight title loss to EBU champion Max Bursak in Ukraine last month, plans to learn from his weigh-in struggle as he goes in search of his next big opportunity.
“I proved I can use my jab to win a fight but it was rubbish,” said the Trowbridge fighter.
“It was the weigh-in on the day. Usually I do it on the day before but this time, I had to get it done on the day.
“You dehydrate yourself and you feel light-headed just walking about, let alone when you're being hit.
“I had to weigh in at five (pm) and I only had a few hours to rehydrate, which wasn't enough because you need at least 24 hours – I won’t be doing it again.
“I just felt fragile out there and I felt terrible mentally.
“Maxwell caught with some little right hands that were only small shots but my legs were going a bit and I knew that if he caught me clean, I was going to be in trouble.
“The plan was to come down to the body but when I did that, he caught me with that right hand.
“I usually spar with (Carl) Froch and I'm taking clean shots all the time no problem. So that’s why I didn’t want to risk anything and I just worked behind my jab.
“I just wanted to get it over and done with.
“I’ve still got loads to learn and I’m going to spar with Carl more.
“I want to be fighting all the time.”
MORE SPORTS NEWS, PICTURES AND REPORTS IN THIS FRIDAY’S WILTSHIRE TIMES. FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @WTSport
Comments are closed on this article.