Pets belonging to animal welfare campaigners taken by RSPCA
6:00pm Friday 1st November 2013 in Latest News
SIX dogs were taken by the RSPCA from the home of two Trowbridge animal charity supporters following a fire on Saturday.
The spaniels and collie-crosses were removed by the charity’s officers after a fire broke out in the house next door in Innox Road at around 11am.
The fire started in a kitchen of Fred and Terese Wozniak’s house and spread to the rear of the neighbouring house, where the dogs live with owners Sarah-Jane Newbury and Tony Durant.
The pair, who travel the country collecting for animal charities and claimed to have raised thousands of pounds, were out at the time and firefighters had to force entry into their home.
Firefighters said they discovered the dogs, which they believed to be in distress, so they called in the RSPCA.
“We are devastated that the dogs have been taken away but everything is fine and we are getting them back next week,” Miss Newbury said.
“We are squeaky clean on this, it is just they have taken them away while we get in order here. It was a very unpleasant incident. We are thankful the dogs are OK.”
The RSPCA is investigating, with some of the dogs taken to Bristol Dogs and Cats Home and others at Bath Cats and Dogs Home.
Miss Newbury said the fire caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to her home. The blaze has also destroyed the inside of her neighbour’s house. Mr and Mrs Wozniak, who are originally from Poland, have lived in the terraced house since 1955. It is now uninhabitable.
Mr Wozniak, 71, said: “The house is an absolute mess but people have been very nice to us.”
The fire was started by a faulty toaster. Since the blaze the Wozniaks have been staying at a Hilperton hotel.
Fire crews from Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon and Melksham attended the incident.