Dangerous psychopath jailed for life after brutal rape of teen in town centre

This Is Wiltshire: Dangerous psychopath jailed for life after brutal rape of teen in town centre Dangerous psychopath jailed for life after brutal rape of teen in town centre

A DANGEROUS psychopath who brutally raped a teenager in the town centre just four months after being released from prison for a similar matter has been jailed for life.

David Brierley took the terrified 18-year-old to an area used by rough sleepers off John Street where he threatened her with violence before brutally raping her.

The girl, who had bumped into him the night before, thought she was going to be killed and was left in such physical pain she was crying.

But the 34-year-old, who had only been in Swindon for a couple of days earlier and was staying at the Culvery Court hostel, told police she initiated sex.

And he said she had insisted he did not wear a condom when he carried out the attack as she wanted to have children, which was untrue.

Stephen Dent, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court how the teenager and a friend had been on a night out on February 23 when they met Brierley.

He helped them out buying some fast food and under the pretence of finding them work, got his victim's phone number.

The following day he called saying he needed to see her about the job and then told her it involved stealing gold used for fillings from dentists.

She said she wasn't interested but he then lured her to the spot where she said he 'turned freaky' and started to talk about sex.

When he was briefly using his mobile she managed to text a former boyfriend saying 'I'm in some trouble', adding 'He wants to take me away and do lots of bad things'.

But before she could say anymore he stopped her using her phone and took her behind some industrial dustbins where he pulled off her trousers and raped her.

She screamed out in pain and begged him not to do it but he said he would only let her go if she agreed to do what he wanted.

The teenager later told the police 'I begged him God knows how many times and he wouldn't let me go: I kept thinking I was going to die that night'.

Once he had raped her twice she managed to get away and told a nearby homeless woman what had happened.

Brierley was arrested later at the hostel and gave a false name and lied about her consenting to having sex with him.

Despite pleading guilty when he appeared in court in May he tried to change his mind insisting he had done nothing wrong, but a judge refused to let him.

The court heard he had a long history of violent crime and was jailed for eight years in 2001 after raping an 18-year-old girl as she walked home through a graveyard in Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire.

Brierley, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to two counts of rape.
Nick O'Brien, defending, said despite his application to vacate his guilty plea he did now admit he raped the girl.

He said: "My best point is in the end the victim was not required to go into the witness box and give evidence."

Medical reports show his client has a dangerous and serious personality disorder which was incurable.

After serving the last sentence for rape he was released and then recalled for breach and put on an extended licence, which he served every day of.

As a result when he was released in October last year he had no support from the probation service.

Jailing him, Judge Douglas Field said: "The complainant was a vulnerable young 18-year-old and you pretended to befriend her.

"The following evening you met up with her then you took her to this open area that contains large industrial waste bins in the middle of Swindon.

"This was a sustained violent attack. The physical and psychological harm you must have done to this woman was profound and will be long lasting.

"I have come to the view that you are a very dangerous and violent sex offender. Based on the circumstances of your first conviction for rape and the facts I am sentencing for today.

"These offences are so serious that they call for a concurrent life sentence on each.

"If you are released it will be on terms that you are subject to licence for the rest of your life and liable to be recalled to custody at any time."

He said he would not be able to apply for parole until he had served seven years and 41 days.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree