Key politicians back Honda biomass plan

THERE has been a positive reaction to Honda’s plan to build a brand new energy centre at its factory in South Marston.

As revealed in yesterday’s Adver, the car makers have asked for planning permission to build a biomass plant on site, to create a permanent source of power.

It will use a process of gasification, which is a different from a proposal put forward for Cheney Manor by Hippofan.

Honda’s energy centre will be beside nearby solar farms to move forward the firm’s commitment to clean power.

“It is not just here in Swindon but all across the globe, in America and Brazil for example, that we look to utilise renewable energy,” said Julian Bliss, a senior staff engineer at Honda.

“There is no magic pill when it comes to renewable energy with everything having benefits which is why we use a mix at Honda.”

The proposed energy centre will use a gasification process in which recycled wood is heated until it becomes a gas. This gas is then burnt to heat water and a steam turbine creates the power.

The site will be built on the factory site, away from residents, with the chimney stack being no higher than anything already on site.

Several South Marston parish councillors have already said that, while they have yet to see full details, from what they have seen there is nothing to object to.

Other politicians from across Swindon have added their support to the plan.

Swindon North MP Justin Tomlinson said: “The plan seems well thought out, taking into consideration the local area and will help secure the long-term sustainabilty of the vital Honda facility, absolutely key to our local economy.

“Renewable energy will continue to play a growing part in local energy supply but it should always be with the support of communities.”

Councillor Des Moffatt (Lab, Rodbourne Cheney) opposes the biomass plant in Cheney Manor but says Honda’s plan is better.

He said: “It is a far more attractive proposal to that put forward by Hippofan. “Gasification is different to combustion and does not involve simply burning wood.

“The process by which they get the wood ready, which is messy, will be away from the factory. The product left over can be used in roads or making bricks, which you cannot do with combustion where everything left over goes to landfill.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:14am Thu 19 Dec 13

scottwichall says...

I don't live very far from Honda... and there is always plenty of gasification in my house, especially first thing in the morning.

Perhaps they should install a pipeline to me!
I don't live very far from Honda... and there is always plenty of gasification in my house, especially first thing in the morning. Perhaps they should install a pipeline to me! scottwichall

8:29am Thu 19 Dec 13

house on the hill says...

scottwichall wrote:
I don't live very far from Honda... and there is always plenty of gasification in my house, especially first thing in the morning.

Perhaps they should install a pipeline to me!
Especially this time of year on "Sprout Power"!

Seriously though, its always easy for politicians to stick their noses in when they dont live there as usual.
[quote][p][bold]scottwichall[/bold] wrote: I don't live very far from Honda... and there is always plenty of gasification in my house, especially first thing in the morning. Perhaps they should install a pipeline to me![/p][/quote]Especially this time of year on "Sprout Power"! Seriously though, its always easy for politicians to stick their noses in when they dont live there as usual. house on the hill

5:11pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Sarah-jane12 says...

No doubt it won't be long before the usual complainants put a stop to it, they will find something ...
No doubt it won't be long before the usual complainants put a stop to it, they will find something ... Sarah-jane12

8:26pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Tyran66 says...

Sarah-jane12 wrote:
No doubt it won't be long before the usual complainants put a stop to it, they will find something ...
Are you joking? The politicians are backing the local super-power employer for a rubber stamp "green project". If the residents of south-Marston chained themselves together with the vicar at the very front the bulldozers would still roll over them!
[quote][p][bold]Sarah-jane12[/bold] wrote: No doubt it won't be long before the usual complainants put a stop to it, they will find something ...[/p][/quote]Are you joking? The politicians are backing the local super-power employer for a rubber stamp "green project". If the residents of south-Marston chained themselves together with the vicar at the very front the bulldozers would still roll over them! Tyran66

10:22pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Itssomewheretowork says...

house on the hill wrote:
scottwichall wrote: I don't live very far from Honda... and there is always plenty of gasification in my house, especially first thing in the morning. Perhaps they should install a pipeline to me!
Especially this time of year on "Sprout Power"! Seriously though, its always easy for politicians to stick their noses in when they dont live there as usual.
I must be very gullible, I really thought that the South Marston Parish councillors would indeed live, dare I say it, in South marston. I hope these are not the same ones who objected to the wind turbines in Honda's last attempt to go green. I was hoping that Parish councillors were more honourable than that.

House on the hill seems to know where they live, perhaps he could share their approximate locations with the rest of us.
[quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scottwichall[/bold] wrote: I don't live very far from Honda... and there is always plenty of gasification in my house, especially first thing in the morning. Perhaps they should install a pipeline to me![/p][/quote]Especially this time of year on "Sprout Power"! Seriously though, its always easy for politicians to stick their noses in when they dont live there as usual.[/p][/quote]I must be very gullible, I really thought that the South Marston Parish councillors would indeed live, dare I say it, in South marston. I hope these are not the same ones who objected to the wind turbines in Honda's last attempt to go green. I was hoping that Parish councillors were more honourable than that. House on the hill seems to know where they live, perhaps he could share their approximate locations with the rest of us. Itssomewheretowork

11:38pm Thu 19 Dec 13

bobthebulder says...

Imported biomass from Canada and Swindon will supply this plant. No local benefit and lorry after lorry supplying it. The Truth. Swindon are being hook winked on this one
Imported biomass from Canada and Swindon will supply this plant. No local benefit and lorry after lorry supplying it. The Truth. Swindon are being hook winked on this one bobthebulder

11:39pm Thu 19 Dec 13

bobthebulder says...

That is Sweden not Swindon
That is Sweden not Swindon bobthebulder

8:18am Fri 20 Dec 13

AGINGER says...

bobthebulder wrote:
That is Sweden not Swindon
Thank you Bob for the info,re where the feedstock is sourced,thousands of miles by cargo vessel,hundreds by HGV,nothing very carbon neutral about the transportation.
[quote][p][bold]bobthebulder[/bold] wrote: That is Sweden not Swindon[/p][/quote]Thank you Bob for the info,re where the feedstock is sourced,thousands of miles by cargo vessel,hundreds by HGV,nothing very carbon neutral about the transportation. AGINGER

8:46am Fri 20 Dec 13

AGINGER says...

Tyran66 wrote:
Sarah-jane12 wrote: No doubt it won't be long before the usual complainants put a stop to it, they will find something ...
Are you joking? The politicians are backing the local super-power employer for a rubber stamp "green project". If the residents of south-Marston chained themselves together with the vicar at the very front the bulldozers would still roll over them!
Tyran66, You are advised to leave the Vicar out of this, because you may need one in days to come.
And,"chaining ourselves together" facing a bulldozer,the operator would not dare to harm humans,because he or she would be locked up for good.
[quote][p][bold]Tyran66[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sarah-jane12[/bold] wrote: No doubt it won't be long before the usual complainants put a stop to it, they will find something ...[/p][/quote]Are you joking? The politicians are backing the local super-power employer for a rubber stamp "green project". If the residents of south-Marston chained themselves together with the vicar at the very front the bulldozers would still roll over them![/p][/quote]Tyran66, You are advised to leave the Vicar out of this, because you may need one in days to come. And,"chaining ourselves together" facing a bulldozer,the operator would not dare to harm humans,because he or she would be locked up for good. AGINGER

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree