WEDGE manager Craig Spreadborough admitted he was shocked that his team’s game against Greendown went ahead at all at the weekend.

The Swindon Sunday League Division 5 fixture improbably beat the weather despite an almost complete wipeout of local football by rain.

No other games took place in the Swindon Sunday League and the Wiltshire League and Swindon & District League programmes were washed out.

Only four matches were played in the North Berks League and the same amount went ahead in the North Wilts Youth League.

With that in mind, Spreadborough was fully expecting his team’s away fixture at Grange Park to suffer the same fate.

However, it was to his team’s benefit that the fixture got the green light, as they emerged 3-2 winners.

“It was a surprise when you think that games involving professional teams were called off at the weekend,” said Spreadborough.

“Although the surrounding area was pretty boggy, the pitch was in good condition and held up quite well which was good to see.

“It was a surprise to ourselves that the game was on as I phoned them up expecting them to say that it was going to be called off.

“Getting to the pitch wasn’t brilliant as the bits of grass that weren’t cut in the surrounding area were a bit marshy, but the pitch itself was absolutely fine.”

Wedge’s victory enabled them to give their Division 5 survival hopes a big boost as they leapfrogged Greendown to push their rivals further into the mire.

Spreadborough’s troops seized the initiative in the first half when Chris Wood volleyed home a cross from the flank.

However, Greendown pulled level when they beat the offside trap and the one-on-one was converted.

Wood was at it again before the break and again it was a one-on-one situation, as he managed to convert despite appearing to be fouled in the act of scoring.

After the break Wedge extended their advantage when Nick Stanley notched a rare header from a corner, but there was still another twist in the tail.

A clearing header fell to the feet of a Greendown player who sent the ball straight into the top corner with a superb strike.

However, Wedge were able to hold on and Spreadborough was delighted with the win.

“It’s a good three points for us, especially after the start we had to the season,” he said.

“We had a shaky start to the season and had a big turnaround in our squad with a new set of players coming in around late October.

“The majority of the squad is existing Wedge players and Old Town’s Saturday squad (from the Swindon & District League), and as of next year we’re going to be known as Old Town Sunday.

“We’re hoping to finish top four this season which I think would be a good result for us.”