THE search is on for someone who can help decide how much Swindon’s councillors should be paid.

Swindon Borough Council is looking for a new person to serve on an independent five-strong panel which recommends the allowances and amounts of money paid to its elected members.

The appointment, to fill a vacancy, would be for three years and would normally involve a commitment of no more than 18 hours each year. An allowance of £200 a year will be paid, along with subsistence and travelling expenses.

Swindon Borough Council is required by the Local Government Act 2000 to have an Independent Remuneration Panel, which is responsible for making recommendations to the council about the type and level of allowances paid to councillors.

The panel also carries out a similar role for parish and town councils in Swindon. This is undertaken less frequently.

Anyone interested in the vacancy should contact Ian Willcox at the Council on (01793) 463601, or by email at for more information or an application form. The closing date for applications is Friday 7 February 2014.

Applicants for membership of the panel should not be associated with the political groups on the Council, and must declare friendship or any other personal association with any member or officer of the Council.

Preference will be given to applicants who in the minds of the local community will be perceived as being independent of the council and its elected members.