Sex assault victim hits out at Longleat
A teenage sex attack victim has criticised Longleat bosses after worker Yacine Abdi was convicted of two assaults on colleagues while on duty at the park.
She is angry nothing was done after the former assistant food and beverages manager was accused of carrying out an assault on a colleague a year before she started.
Salisbury magistrates found Abdi, 41, of Chestnut Close, Frome, guilty of touching two teenagers, both employees at the park, without their consent.
The first incident took place on April 14, 2012, at the adventure park in Warminster, while the second incident also happened at the park on June 15 last year. He will be sentenced on February 7.
His second victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was 17 at the time of the assault.
She said: “The first incident occurred before I started work at Longleat and they investigated it, but decided there was not enough evidence, so didn’t do anything about it.
"They apparently said they would put cameras in the kiosks, but that didn’t happen. Then in June last year I started at Longleat and within two weeks he sexually assaulted me.”
She added: “I believe it happened partly due to Longleat not putting cameras in the kiosks. I just don’t accept how Longleat sorted it out.
“I left Longleat almost straight after the incident. I want to highlight the fact that Longleat didn’t take the first incident seriously. They didn’t really deal with the issue or provide me or the other girl affected with any help.
“If they had taken her incident more seriously then it wouldn’t have happened again.”
A Longleat spokesman said: “We take the wellbeing of our employees extremely seriously. Mr Abdi is no longer employed by Longleat, and had been suspended from his post as assistant food and beverage manager since June 2013.
"Given that the criminal process is still ongoing Longleat are not able to comment any further on this matter.”