GEORGIA Walters scored the only goal as Swindon Town Ladies snatched a 1-0 victory away at Shanklin.

Town got the game under way and had the better of the opening exchanges before the first chance of the contest fell to Shanklin. Naomi Cooper swung a corner into the Town goalmouth but Sarah Wright’s header flew just over.

As visitors slowly began to take control, Chyna Collings picked out Mel Farrow whose shot was saved comfortably by the Shanklin keeper Georgia Dye.

The Islanders were looking dangerous from corners and Amy Baker was well-placed to scramble the ball off the Town goaline from Cooper’s in-swinging corner kick.

In the 19th minute Town took the lead after a foul on Georgia Walters resulted in a free kick, and she picked herself up, took the kick herself and found the Shanklin net from 35 yards out.

Shanklin, with the advantage of the wind, were quick on the break and Nicola Briggs managed to wriggle free but her shot was wide of the target.

Mel Farrow set Kelly Nightingale clear on the Town left and only a brave save from Georgia Dye in the home goal prevented the midfielder from increasing the visitors’ lead.

Farrow was again a provider when she found Beth Thompson, whose shot was saved at the near post.

Town were having the better of the play but were unable to open up the Shanklin defence, as Walters’ shot from just outside the home penalty area and sent the keeper scrambling across her goal as the ball just missed the far post.

The visitors opened the second half strongly and home keeper Dye saved from Farrow. Ellie Maynard crossed in from the Town’s left to find Walters, whose shot was too high.

A Beth Thompson shot looked destined for the net but Kim Arnold hooked the ball over the home bar and out for a corner.

Town were camped in the Shanklin half but centre-backs Shannon Kilcullen and Sophie Jackson were keeping the visitors’ forwards at bay.

With time running out the Islanders threw everything forward and it was the Town centre backs, Michelle Rich and Laura Morgan who were pressed into action but stood firm to secure the points.

Town reserves lost by a single goal against Chippenham in their Wiltshire County League game.