Assault charge dropped against Collingbourne Ducis man
A man accused of carrying out an assault has had the charge against him dropped as the victim is apparently no longer in the country.
Jethu Singh had appeared at Swindon Crown Court last month on an allegation of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
The 27-year-old's lawyers brought the case back before a judge today to try and get their client released on bail.
But prosecutors said they would not be proceeding with the case after hearing the alleged victim had returned to the Indian sub continent.
Singh, of Herridge, Collingbourne Ducis, was said to have assaulted Bheem Rathore on Sunday, December 1.
Tessa Hingston, for the Crown, said: "I understand my colleague reviewed the case in the last few days.
"Without a complainant and with somewhat equivocal evidence it has been decided to offer no evidence."
Judge Tim Mousley QC entered a formal not guilty verdict on Singh, who was not present, saying: "There's no need for the bail application now."
The judge added: "He can be convicted in his absence and he can be acquitted in his absence."
Singh, who has been in custody since his arrest and needed a Hindi interpreter, will now be freed from prison.