Castle & Ball reopened after three days after suspected norovirus outbreak
The cause of the suspected norovirus outbreak that closed the Castle & Ball hotel in Marlborough for three days last week will be identified through laboratory tests.
The High Street hotel made the decision to close last Tuesday, and staff found guests alternative accommodation until it reopened on Friday.
It was thoroughly cleaned before reopening and guests are now being asked to answer a questionnaire to shed more light on the outbreak.
A spokesman for the Castle & Ball said: “The safety and well-being of our customers and staff is paramount and after some reports of illness in one party of guests who had recently arrived, we made the decision to temporarily close the hotel.
“We believe the illness to have been a virus which is common at this time of year.
“The team’s precautionary measures and swift approach to deal with the situation have been praised by environmental health officers.
“Our team secured accommodation elsewhere for all guests staying or booked in to stay at the hotel.”
Jenny Thomson, public protection manager at Wiltshire Council, said: “The hotel management group has co-operated fully with the investigation, and are following the deep clean procedures recommended in a norovirus-type outbreak.”
Dr David Hunt, consultant in communicable disease control from Avon, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire Public Health England Centre, said: “Norovirus usually leads to mild diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal or stomach cramps that people recover from quickly.”