The family of Suzanne Newton have spoken after her husband was sentenced for her manslaughter this morning.
Richard Newton, 51, was sentenced to a Hospital Order and Restriction Order after he admitted killing his wife at their home in Bowerhill last January.
He was suffering from paranoid delusions on January 13 when he stabbed Mrs Newton, who worked for a Calne-based recruitment agency. The couple had been married for 20 years, and had one son.
A statement from Richard and Diana Milward, relatives of Mrs Newton, said: "Today, after 13 months of waiting, we as a family can continue mourning the shocking death of our amazing daughter and mother, Sue.
“We have been helped and supported by Sue’s many friends from all over the country who have told us, repeatedly, what a skilled horsewoman and wonderful person she was to all who needed her help.
“There are two families affected by this judgement, and each has to live with this for the rest of their lives. Everyone is entitled to their individual opinion of this terrible event but, we are all bound by the letter of the law.
“Finally, the Police and Victim Support Unit, with their guidance through the unbelievable trauma and complex legalities of the last 13 months, whilst we have waited on justice for Suzanne, have been truly wonderful."
Detective Chief Inspector Ian Saunders of the Wiltshire and Avon & Somerset Police Major Crime Investigation Team said: “Newton was located and arrested on suspicion of the murder of his wife. Although originally charged with murder, Newton pleaded guilty on the 25th November 2013 to the manslaughter of his wife on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
I hope that Suzanne Newton’s family can now move forward with their lives.”