Gas leak fear closes Chippenham store’s petrol station
1:00pm Thursday 27th February 2014 in Latest News
Sainsbury's petrol station in Chippenham was evacuated in a gas scare.
Staff closed the kiosk for two hours after noticing a strange smell, which they suspected might be gas.
The fire service was called out to the supermarket in Bath Road at 10.45am last Thursday.
The kiosk was evacuated and a safety cordon put in place. A fridge engineer was called to check for a leak from the fridge.
Air monitoring equipment was used, but it turned out to be a false alarm and the petrol station reopened in early afternoon.
Deputy manager Menna Sandall said: “Our customer and colleague safety is always paramount. Our colleagues followed our emergency procedures in a calm and professional manner.
“Our thanks go out for the assistance of the emergency services.”
Comments are closed on this article.