TROWBRIDGE Town Reserves booked their place in the final of the EJ Shanley & Sons-sponsored Spring Cup after defeating second division stable-mates and local rivals Trowbridge Wanderers Reserves 2-1 in a thrilling encounter at Stanley Park.

Dave Jenkins' Trowbridge Town side had already beaten their rivals in their two league meetings this term and were favourites to claim a hat-trick of victories over Matt Rusling’s men, but they were made to fight all the way for a victory that will go some way to helping ease the pain of missing out on the runners-up spot in their division.

Trowbridge Town may have had the better of the chances to open the scoring but that honour finally fell to Wanderers' Steve Jackson, who latched on to a Ben Rogers free-kick to give his team the lead.

Steve Morris went close to adding a second for Wanderers, as did Michael Cooksey, who was denied by the bar before Zack Manna restored parity for Trowbridge Town on the stroke of half-time when he drove home direct from a free kick.

Trowbridge Wanderers were denied a second by some fine goalkeeping from John Wiltshire and with 25 minutes remaining, Town netted what proved to be the winner - Zack Manna delivering the perfect through ball for Kieren Mills who slotted home for 2-1.

Wanderers went in search of an equaliser and were twice denied, with the woodwork keeping out Rogers free kick and keeper Wiltshire was force into making a great save to deny Rogers and preserve Trowbridge Town’s lead.

No upset for United as Lacock march on

Third Division United FC travelled to Meriton Avenue hoping to do something that no other team had done this term - beat Division Two champions, Knock Out Cup and A&B Cup finalists Lacock.

But like those who have tried previously, United suffered the same fate as Lacock breezed through to another semi-final appearance thanks to a convincing 6-0 win.

Lacock were without keeper Joe King for the game and had to use player-manager Joe Martin between the sticks but the part time shot stopper had a great game, making a number of notable saves in the first half to make sure his team held onto their 2-0 lead, carved out thanks to a double from Craig Burge.

The second period saw Lacock kill the tie off when Darrin Moss netted and from then on it was one-way traffic as United never really threatened keeper Martin.

Adie Webb added goals four and five before Simon Gray bagged the villagers' sixth to keep them on course for a third cup final appearance of the season.

Lacock will host Westwood News next Saturday for a place in the final, which takes place later this month at Warminster Town’s Weymouth Street ground.